Tynemouth Station

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Tynemouth Station

Post by PinzaC55 »

I believe the reason the covering over the south end canopies was removed was because it was corrugated Asbestos and as we all know that is as dangerous as Plutonium (sarcasm there).
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

This series of photos appeared yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tyne/hi/fro ... 373556.stm
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Nice article and photos. Re their statement "it hasn't been used by mainline services since the mid 80's" how nice they do their research!
Incidentally did you ever check out whether those Tannoy speakers were still there?
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by billdonald »

PinzaC55 wrote:Nice article and photos. Re their statement "it hasn't been used by mainline services since the mid 80's" how nice they do their research!
Incidentally did you ever check out whether those Tannoy speakers were still there?
I think the writer of the article couldn't form a phrase such as "last served by BR/national railway network/conventional railway" (delete as required) to make it rather more accurate.

I dare say the triple honours degree in journalism/english/bullshit that passes for a BBC job requirement these days, didn't help them much either. Take a look at the ticker-tape running commentary on the lower screen of the BBC News 24 channel to see some stunning examples of the crap that that appears to be an acceptable standard of english language at the BBC.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

This all reminds me that I must get my trackplan of Tynemouth (1903) up onto the wall next week. The frame is made. I just need to get round to putting it in and hang it up.

If anyone is interested, the Document number in the NRM is 20294.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

billdonald wrote:
PinzaC55 wrote:Nice article and photos. Re their statement "it hasn't been used by mainline services since the mid 80's" how nice they do their research!
I think the writer of the article couldn't form a phrase such as "last served by BR/national railway network/conventional railway" (delete as required) to make it rather more accurate.

I dare say the triple honours degree in journalism/english/bullshit that passes for a BBC job requirement these days, didn't help them much either. Take a look at the ticker-tape running commentary on the lower screen of the BBC News 24 channel to see some stunning examples of the crap that that appears to be an acceptable standard of english language at the BBC.

I was watching BBC News 24 in a pub and there was something about a soldier who recieved a "post hummous" award. I thought it had something to do with that salad you get with kebabs till I realised it meant "posthumous".
Multiprinter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Multiprinter »

I wonder if we live in the only country in the world where allegedly educated people cannot even speak or write the language correctly.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I passed the detail on to those who were looking for them.
Do not know of any result yet. Best guess will be there appearance or not under the new roof at Pickering station.
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by billdonald »

Multiprinter wrote:I wonder if we live in the only country in the world where allegedly educated people cannot even speak or write the language correctly.
No, you're wrong there. Take it from me that Ireland is no better. The state broadcaster RTE enjoys the epithet of Really Total Excrement, while the Irish Times newspaper, which styles itself as the ridiculous Newspaper of Record, is known as Ignorant Tripe.

I'll stop there as we're moving well off-topic.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Bryan wrote:
I passed the detail on to those who were looking for them.
Do not know of any result yet. Best guess will be there appearance or not under the new roof at Pickering station.
Re the NYMR I don't know whether the NYMR would have any use for it but there is an NER wooden office building on the Tanner Row side of the original York terminus station (which is currently being hacked about to become Council offices) and I'm sure it will be set to be demolished. It is a fine example of it's type with 3 nice original roof vents.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Jonathan1973
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Jonathan1973 »

Did we ever answer Percy Main's question (of five years ago), regarding the numbering of the eight platforms at Tynemouth? I appreciate that the two Metro platforms are numbered 1 and 2.Was there ever a scheme for numbering the platforms in BR, LNER or NER days? I have looked at the photographs I have to hand, and I can't see any obvious signs.
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

Jonathan1973 wrote:Did we ever answer Percy Main's question (of five years ago), regarding the numbering of the eight platforms at Tynemouth? I appreciate that the two Metro platforms are numbered 1 and 2.Was there ever a scheme for numbering the platforms in BR, LNER or NER days? I have looked at the photographs I have to hand, and I can't see any obvious signs.
I think there was a similar question somewhere about South Shields station. I have never seen any pre-Metro photo of any of the stations on the Tyneside lines which show platform numbers (except for the Central and Manors). It's probable, of course, that they were numbered on plans and diagrams for signalling and other 'internal purposes. As it's also my theory that the bay platforms at Tynemouth were hardly ever used the lack of numbers probably didn't cause any confusion.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I have just received a Flickr mail from a guy who plans a new book to commemorate restoration of the station - it sounds interesting.