4469 Gadwall/Sir Ralph Wedgwood (The Aftermath)

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

easternstreak
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

4469 Gadwall/Sir Ralph Wedgwood (The Aftermath)

Post by easternstreak »

It was a regular day, while I was reading the Metro newspaper when a certain article caught my eye.
It was about the Badaeker Blitz of WW2, and the largest image there (and the one which caught my attention) was this one.
So all I want to know it, what do you think of this image. For me, the first time I heard about this incident was in a very emotional episode of Simon Martins fantastic BRWS Series, (even if it wasn't 100% accurate :wink: ).
Last edited by easternstreak on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 4469 Gadwall/Sir Ralph Wedgwood

Post by 60800 »

I'm surprised the tender was returned to service. It looks to be very warped and twisted
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I'm glad the episode did its job and got you interested! :)

When I originally wrote Episode 10, I had a few written sources I was reading, and chose one specific one over another - it was simpler to have the actual aftermath in the station rather than in the shed, where 4469 was actually damaged.

I felt having it in the shed would be too grim for the audience I was trying to attract. In hindsight it could have been written much better and closer to history.

When I film it again in the new format, it will be an accurate account in all but the faces on trains.
easternstreak
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by easternstreak »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:I'm glad the episode did its job and got you interested! :)

When I originally wrote Episode 10, I had a few written sources I was reading, and chose one specific one over another - it was simpler to have the actual aftermath in the station rather than in the shed, where 4469 was actually damaged.

I felt having it in the shed would be too grim for the audience I was trying to attract. In hindsight it could have been written much better and closer to history.

When I film it again in the new format, it will be an accurate account in all but the faces on trains.
Of course, what would your series be without faces on trains. :D
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

easternstreak wrote:Of course, what would your series be without faces on trains. :D
Realistic! :lol: :wink:
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Seen in happier days some 18 months before its demise in full cry up through Alnmouth. I have been trying to find pictures of Sir Ralph/Gadwall for my facebook site for a while, this is the only one ive found as yet.
For Micky and Co, the top of the signalbox you can see behind the first coach is the still existing last pre grouping cabin on the ECML.
Just found out that the LNER and the GWR both lost a named locomotive during the war. The GWR lost a Hall No.4911. Cant find anything on the Hall, can someone say what she was named and where she was Lost.

EDIT following Blackouts info heres a link to more on Bowden Hall, incidentally there are two original Bowden Halls one is now a hotel in Gloucester the other is near Chapel en le frith, Derbys. http://www.plymouthdata.info/Railways-S ... Keyham.htm
Attachments
Sir Ralph Alnmouth.jpg
Last edited by 52D on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
easternstreak
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by easternstreak »

52D wrote:Seen in happier days some 18 months before its demise in full cry up through Alnmouth. I have been trying to find pictures of Sir Ralph/Gadwall for my facebook site for a while, this is the only one ive found as yet.
For Micky and Co, the top of the signalbox you can see behind the first coach is the still existing last pre grouping cabin on the ECML.
Just found out that the LNER and the GWR both lost a named locomotive during the war. The GWR lost a Hall No.4911. Cant find anything on the Hall, can someone say what she was named and where she was Lost.
It's actually amazing when you think how many locos that the UK was holding at the time. Yet how so few of them actually got bombed.
Speaking of the war it turns out Flying Scotsman will be in Wartime Black for Railfest, but with smoke deflectors. :?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

52D wrote:Hall No.4911. Cant find anything on the Hall, can someone say what she was named
'Bowden Hall' according to google

EDIT: Took a direct hit during an air raid on Keyham
Last edited by 60800 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Cheers Blackout ive got something to go at now.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Actually, from the photos of this I've seen, I'm still left wondering, where did that driving wheel get to?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The wheels were damaged beyond repair. When the loco was transferred to Doncaster for scrapping/parts recovery a set of wheels was put under the loco and it was towed as a 4-4-0.

Ive put a link on my post above about Bowden Hall.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Ah yes, I've seen a photo of that before. What I was meaning was had it flown off when the bomb hit?
It dosen't seem to be in the vicinity of the loco at all
easternstreak
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by easternstreak »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
easternstreak wrote:Of course, what would your series be without faces on trains. :D
hehe good point.
going to be a cheeky boy, and ask for a signed copy of the book when in print :mrgreen:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

easternstreak wrote:
S.A.C. Martin wrote:
hehe good point.
going to be a cheeky boy, and ask for a signed copy of the book when in print :mrgreen:
Anyone who asks for a signature, will get one. :)

Let's walk before we can run first - eBook first, print run second. I haven't the capital to spend I'm afraid, otherwise I would have self published the book by now.
easternstreak
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by easternstreak »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
[/quote]hehe good point.
[/quote]

Anyone who asks for a signature, will get one. :)

Let's walk before we can run first - eBook first, print run second. I haven't the capital to spend I'm afraid, otherwise I would have self published the book by now.
[/quote]

That's all right, I know that when it does get published. It will give the RWS a run for its money :lol:
I do love your stories, they have a certain uniqueness that none others have. It's even persuaded to start writing my own stories. :mrgreen:
Will you be going to Railfest? :P