LNER 4-6-2 Pacific Locomotives
The LNER's Express Pacific designs were probably the most famous of the LNER locomotives. Even
today, two of these engines (No. 4472 Flying Scotsman and No. 4468 Mallard) rank amongst the most
famous steam locomotives ever built.
Although the first locos emerged just before the Grouping, it was the LNER that perpetuated the type and, after
the Great Western Railway (GWR) withdrew its solitary example in January 1924, the LNER was the only one of the
'Big Four' to employ Pacifics for almost a decade, building up a fleet of 75 for its top link express services
before the London Midland Scottish (LMS) introduced its first 4-6-2 in July 1933. Eventually the LNER bequeathed
some 139 Pacifics to British Rail in 1948, who also built a further 63 to LNER designs.
As well as these famous express locomotives, the LNER also had a number of Pacific tank locomotives.
4-6-2 Tender Locomotives
4-6-2 Tank Locomotives
The tank version of the 4-6-2 predates the tender type, being introduced on the
North Eastern Railway (NER) in 1911 for mineral traffic.
Later designs on the
Great Central Railway (GCR) and
NER (the latter rebuilt from 4-6-0Ts) were for
passenger services. A total of 51 were inherited by the LNER, who, besides adding a further 23 of the GCR design,
rebuilt all 45 of the NER H1 4-4-4Ts as Pacific tanks. 117 locos
were inherited by BR.