border image border image
 
           
 
   
border image border image
border image border image
 
0-6-0 Tender
J1 - J20
J21 - J41
 
0-6-0 Diesel
J45 / DES1
DES2
AW 0-6-0
 
0-6-0 Tank
GNR J19
J50
J51
J52
J53
J54
J55
J56
J57
GCR Class "7"
J58
J59
J60
J61
J62
J63
J64
J65
J66
J67
J68
J69
J70
 
J71 - J94
 
Related
Petrol&Diesel
Z Miscellaneous

The Pollitt J62 (GCR Class 5) 0-6-0ST Locomotives

J62 GCR No. 885 (M.Peirson)

These locomotives were designed by Pollitt for working the docks at Grimsby, and other locations with sharp curves. A total of twelve locomotives were built at Gorton in 1897, and construction straddled the change of name from the Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR) to the Great Central Railway (GCR). This resulted in No. 891 being the last engine built by the MS&LR, and No. 892 being the first engine to be built by the new GCR.

For dock working, the J62s were fitted with a warning bell and distinctive hooter instead of a whistle. This was initially positioned on the cab roof, but was later moved to the top of the saddletank in-front of the cab. The LNER later moved the bells under the boiler. Pollitt stovepipe chimneys were initially fitted, but many J62s received Robinson-style chimneys before Grouping (1923). Wire basket spark arresters were fitted to many J62 chimneys at various times.

J62 GCR crane tank No. 889 (M.Peirson)

In December 1903, Robinson rebuilt No. 889 as an 0-6-2ST with a 4 ton crane. The crane was built by Vulcan Foundry, and was mounted at the bunker end. The new trailing truck had 2ft diameter wheels, and the total length of the locomotive was increased to 27ft 6in. The rebuilt No. 889 was used as a shunter for Gorton Works until January 1918, when it sustained damage due to a collision. The crane and rear extension were removed, and No. 889 re-entered service as a conventional 0-6-0ST GCR Class 5.

When built, the J62s were allocated to the docks at Grimsby, Immingham, and Birkenhead. By Grouping (1923), they were divided between Immingham and Wrexham, with one locomotive at Staveley Works. During the 1920s and 1930s there were occasional re-allocations of one or two locomotives to Bidston, Ipswich Docks, Chester, Trafford Park, and Ardsley.

J62 No. 8201, at Wrexham in July 1948

Withdrawals started in 1935 and progressed at a slow rate. In December 1936, three were loaned to Sir Robert McAlpine for the construction of Ebbw Vale steelworks in South Wales. No. 5886 was damaged during this work and was withdrawn in November 1937. The other two returned to LNER use in 1938. By 1945, only four J62s remained in service: Wrexham (2), Sheffield (1), and Immingham (1). The Sheffield engine was often loaned to private companies in the area. The last withdrawal was No. 68200 from Wrexham in November 1951.

Technical Details

Cylinders (x2): (outside) 13x20in.
Motion: Stephenson
Valves: Slide
Boiler: Diameter (max): 3ft 6.96in
Length: 9ft 3in
Boiler Pressure: 150psi
Diagram No: 24
Heating Surface: Total: 590 sq.ft.
Firebox: 60 sq.ft.
Tubes: 530 sq.ft. (124x 1.75in dia.)
Grate Area: 11.43 sq.ft.
Wheels: 3ft 6in
Total Wheelbase: 12ft
Tractive Effort: (at 85%) 10,260 lb
Length: 26ft 11.5in
Weight: 30t 17cwt
Max. Axle Load: 11t 10cwt
Water Capacity: 600 gallons
Coal Capacity: 1t 10cwt

Preservation

None of the J62s survived into preservation.

Models

I am not aware of any models of the J62s in any scale.

Acknowledgements

Thank you Malcolm Peirson for the photographs of GCR Nos. 885 & 889.



 
border image border image