The Z4 (GNSR X) Manning Wardle 0-4-2T Shunters
From its formation, the GNSR wanted to use locomotives to work traffic at Aberdeen Docks, but
the Harbour Commissioners would only allow horse haulage. In 1915, an agreement was made and the
GNSR purchased two locomotives (class Z5) from Manning, Wardle & Co
to work the docks. These were overweight by 2 tons, and a further two locomotives were ordered.
Originally classified as Class X, by the GNSR, they were initially classified with the
Z5s as Z5 by the LNER. Then in April 1927, they were given their own class
designation of Z4.
These two engines were originally numbered 116 and 117, but renumbered to 43 and 44 in April 1916.
In 1923, the LNER added 6800 to all of the GNSR locomotives, to give 6843 and 6844. These then became
8190 and 8191 with the 1943 renumbering. Under BR ownership, 60000 was added, as with all other LNER
engines. 68191 (originally 117) was withdrawn in 1959, and 68190 (originally 116) was withdrawn in
Both of the Z4s spent most of their lives working at Aberdeen Docks. Occasionally they would run
local goods trains, and be hired out to private owners.
Both engines remained virtually unchanged during their lives. They even kept their original boilers
because there were no spares available. After Grouping, both Z4s kept their GNSR livery (black with
red and yellow lining) until WW2 - completely skipping the LNER liveries of black lined with red, and
unlined black. However, they were marked with "L N E R" lettering, and during WW2 they were painted in
|Max. Axle Load:
The last Z4 was withdrawn in 1960. No Z4s survive.
Agenoria Models sell a 7mm scale (O gauge) kit of the Z4.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]