Cheshire Lines Committee Trivia
- In terms of financial data and volume of traffic, the CLC was the most successful and largest of all UK joint lines.
- In the late 1930s, it was carrying over 11 million passengers and over 8.5 million tons of goods per annum.
- Second largest joint railway, in terms of distance, in the UK (after the M&GN).
- Route mileage was 143 miles.
- The CLC never owned any locomotives, but did possess four sentinel railcars.
- Despite its name, the CLC had a greater route mileage in Lancashire than in any other county. (Referencing pre-1974 counties).
- Its Manchester terminus was Central station. This was closed and the building was adapted for exhibitions and events and called the GMEX Centre. It has now been re-named again, appropriately, as Manchester Central.
- By the mid 1880s, it was possible to travel between Manchester and Liverpool in 40 minutes - faster than by rail today.
- By 1905 there were 229 departures and 215 arrivals daily at Manchester Central - more than double those of Euston and St Pancras combined.
- The headquarters was at Liverpool Central (the above ground buildings now demolished). There is a low-level station on the site served by Merseyrail.
- The vans which conveyed salt had a distinctive pent roof; evidently this was more water-proof than the traditional bow roof.
Thank you to Richard Barron for the above information.