Timeline of the Hull & Barnsley Railway
1845 The Hull & Barnsley Junction Railway scheme is rejected.
1862 The Hull & West Riding Junction Railway scheme is rejected.
1880 The Hull, Barnsley & West Riding Junction Railway and Dock Company scheme passes Parliament.
1885 The railway and docks open for passenger and goods services.
1892 Second class facilities withdrawn.
1899 Agreement between H&BR and NER to construct a joint dock in Hull.
1905, 30th June Officially renamed as "Hull & Barnsley Railway Company".
1905 Through running to Sheffield commences.
1908 Marshalling yards at Springhead open.
All further through workings begin and end at Springhead.
Springhead was built up piece-meal from the early days of the railway. 1907 saw the final development and the area took on the form that we later knew. Even so, the Goods Loops at Locomotive Junction were not added until late 1912.
1914 King George V opens the joint H&BR and NER dock.
1917 Through running to Sheffield ends.
1922 H&BR amalgamates with the NER.
This is a direct preliminary to Grouping.
1923 Line is absorbed into the LNER.
As a part of Grouping, the new LNER inherits 138 H&BR locomotives.
1924 Cannon Street terminus closes.
H&BR line connects into Paragon Station.
1929 Springhead Halt opens for passengers
1931 Matthew Stirling dies in Hull.
1932 LNER closes all stations west of Howden.
1955 The last passenger service to run on the line.
The service is worked by G5 0-4-4T No.67337.
1956 The last H&BR engine is withdrawn.
Withdrawn locomotive is Class N13 0-6-2T No. 69114 (H&BR Class F3 No. 27)
1958 All mineral trains are withdrawn.
1959 The line between Wrangbrook and Little Weighton closes.
1963 Track lifted at South Cave.
1964 The last goods train on the Little Weighton to Springhead section.
1977 Eppleworth Viaduct or "Five Arches" as it was known, is demolished.
Thank you to John Broadwell for the above timeline.