Updated Site

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Updated Site

Post by mick b »

One very minor criticism.

Can we have the Active Topic shortcut back ? instead of only on the quick link drop down list.

Thanks for all the hard work. :D
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As I started the departure from the series of approvals of the new look for the site, please don't assume that I was offering bitter criticism. It appeared to me that opinions were being sought, so I responded. The new dark blue top banner with the familiar emblem from the previous site version now evident does a lot to restore a good appearance. I was still seeing only the phpBB (or whatever it was) default emblem on a mid-blue background when I originally commented.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

52H wrote:Hi all
Congratulations on the new look site, I approve 100 per cent.

52H

Hear, hear.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Chris Grouse
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Chris Grouse »

What's happening with the private messaging? I've tried to reply to a PM and it's gone straight to the 'outbox' instead of the 'sent' folder. Any idea why that would happen!

Chris
Chris Grouse, Duty Station Master Quorn GCR, Senior Conductor EMT
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

They always went into the outbox - they stay there until the recipient reads it.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Chris Grouse
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Chris Grouse »

Fair enough. Misleading but fair enough.

Chris
Chris Grouse, Duty Station Master Quorn GCR, Senior Conductor EMT
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

To be fair, some other sites/groups/forums I use have the same system.

One matter I keep getting caught by - when I want to go back to the index, I've been used to clicking on the left hand most word, which now takes me to the site home rather than the forum home page. It's not a serious criticism - quite frankly I think the site's probably better organised that way - but it does keep catching me out. I've known the forum for a fair while now and have been used to navigating round on 'auto-pilot'. Any changes take a while to get used to.

A Grumpy old man...
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes I fiddled those two words a bit to try and make them the most logical and short.
If you leave them blank, phpBB puts its own words in...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
StoneRoad
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by StoneRoad »

Well, that was a bit of a surprise !
I've been a bit busy, with various things around a visit to Warley (before, during and after!) so I've not been around this place.
{I was on stand B27}

I think I like it!
Will be back again shortly, 'aving a quick skive and cup of coffee atm ....... for a better look around.
Saluton. mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Everything's gone blue now.
John C
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by John C »

I'm coming very late to the party on this one. If I tell you it's the first time I've seen the updated site, you'll know just how late!
However, my first reaction when 'coming home' was "Oh, they've updated the site" (or words to that effect), and before I read any of these comments, knew immediately that I liked it.

So, if it's any help, and as late as it is, I give you 100%.

Best regards,

John.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks John :-)

I'm just starting to make my commercial sites more "Responsive" (current buzzword d'jour) which will make them more tablet / mobile friendly. It makes me think the same about this site. It would depend on the forum software having an update to support responsive templates/output.
As for the static pages, in theory it is simpler (I wrote the code...) but there are a lot of pages that would need changing...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia