Updated Site

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Iron Duke
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Updated Site

Post by Iron Duke »

I would just like to say how good the new updated site looks.
A nice clean "ex-works" look to it, and easy to navigate too.

Well done to all involved !
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Updated Site

Post by richard »

Thanks Iron Duke!

Sort of an accident really. There was an update that didn't work. This involved support calls with the web host. In the end I had to fix it myself. Which I managed last night, but it was time to turn in, so I left the default style is it was.

The default style that comes with the new version is different to the old style, and yes I think it looks better.
I'm just tweaking it a bit - I've made the blue borders darker and uniform, and I've changed the forum logo.

Let me know of any tweaks that are required sooner rather than later (ie. in the next hour or so, whilst I'm in the code).
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Dunluce Castle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Dunluce Castle »

The forums looking great guys, well done, nice job.
Nelson
1̶6̶ 17 years old and modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Loving the snazzy new look, guys! Good job! :D
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I know the New Posts button is in the quick links tab but is there any chance of putting the New Posts button on the Index page?
Saves a click or two.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It is? "New Topic" on the top left of the folder's list of threads.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Like the new layout! May take a wee while to get used to but if has a fresh look to it!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Erm, I think I was quite happy with the old version of the forum. I prefer square corners to rounded ones, and I like definite tabulation created by ruled lines rather than white gaps. Still, well done Richard for sorting out the problem created by the hosting organisation! Did you mention the need for some GREEN on the forum too, as well as a logo? Since we are having changes anyway I definitely like the idea of seeing some Doncaster green instead of a shade of blue, be it Garter, Marlborough, Oxford or other. Maybe the LNER coat of arms would be better than the eye-shaped (or cigar shaped some would say) LNER totem.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Stirling O
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Stirling O »

I would have to agree with Atlantic 3279 in saying that I much prefer the old version of the forum. Just another instance of change for the sake of change. However having said that I will remain a loyal follower of this forum for it's content is second to none.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Way back in the early days we did have some green. It is a more logical choice, but the problem is getting a decent green on a computer screen. It tends to end up looking a bit fluorescent. The dark blue is much smarter looking.
Adding stripes would require a heavy set of modifications - essentially making our own templates. These would be difficult to maintain. "I have better things to do" would be a polite way of putting my opinion on that!

I'm not entirely sure if the old set of templates are available for this version. We are now running with the standard/default set of templates for phpBB 3, whilst we were running with the standard from phpBB v2 (which we replaced almost 3 years ago - when we had that weekend when I moved all my sites, the forums being the last as they also needed a reinstall/rebuild). This week we went from 3.0.12 to 3.1 if anyone cares.

As to which looks better: opinions are divided it would seem.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

richard wrote:"I have better things to do" ......
And considering how much we are paying you I don't blame you!

It looks fine to me, I can read it, I can find what I am looking for - Thankyou for your hard work Richard

Regards

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Richard,
I like the new look.
limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by limitofshunt »

Stirling O wrote:I would have to agree with Atlantic 3279 in saying that I much prefer the old version of the forum. Just another instance of change for the sake of change.
So you'd still be running with software from 2009 that's vulnerable to bugs and exploitation? Bit of a kick in the teeth for the guy who runs this and doesn't charge a penny...

For what it's worth, I like the new look and thanks for all the hard work!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Seagull wrote:
richard wrote:"I have better things to do" ......
And considering how much we are paying you I don't blame you!

It looks fine to me, I can read it, I can find what I am looking for - Thankyou for your hard work Richard

Regards

Alan
Seconded from me.
Thanks again.
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

Hi all
Congratulations on the new look site, I approve 100 per cent.

52H