Constituent Company Maps

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Constituent Company Maps

Post by richard »

I was planning to have a series of maps for the new Constituent Company section. Originally I planned to use the LNER network map (see the section's index) but shade each territory. It quickly became apparent that this would be difficult due to overlaps, shared lines, etc. I thought about colouring the individual lines, but I would need eight clear colours and the map is large with fine lines.

So instead, I have chosen to make eight small maps for each company, and colour the lines for each respective company in red. I've started with the GNSR:

http://www.lner.info/co/GNSR/index.shtml

Thoughts?

Quality variations are partly due to the map being scanned.
I intend to have a 'thumbnail' for each company index. Click the thumbnail to get the larger image.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Constituent Company Maps

Post by Jingling Geordie »

Watto Richard,
I'm just wandering light engine around this site's minor branch lines and finding it a very rewarding link.

Have you done anything regarding the Great Eastern or the NBR?

I'm the proud owner of a map of BR's Eastern Region published in 1950 by their Surveyors Dept (50.LPY.II). It's in its original framing but unfortunately is glass fronted. Questions

1) Would this be of interest to this web-site's members?
2) I don't want to dismember the frame so how can one photo through glass without getting a reflection?

chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Jingling Geordie wrote:how can one photo through glass without getting a reflection?
a) switch off the flash on the camera
b) light the original from both sides - place the lights (anglepoises etc) so that the illumination hits the subject at 45 degrees
c) try a polarising filter - light reflected from glass is polarised and can be stopped - the filter is rotated to get the desired effect - only snag, these can expensive

hope that's some help

Chaz
Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jingling Geordie »

Watto Chaz,

Very helpfull, I'll have to sweet talk one of my local railway club's "photographers" as it beyond a point and click Scottie,

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks for the offer. It isn't going to be completely LNER accurate, but it might be useful as a "at the end of the LNER". where should it go? I guess the GER section makes some sense, although it is going to be even less-GER accurate.

Glass is going to pose a problem. Also, ideally you want to photograph perpendicular to the map so avoid distortion. That could be difficult - I've know I've had trouble doing that when I've been asked to photograph quilts that are laid flat!
I would choose scanning if possible but you'll probably have to take it out of the frame.

I didn't think polarisers were too pricey - more than a normal filter but a lot less than a lens. I think the one I use on my 35-105mm lens was about GBP10 in the early 90s. It is worth it just for landscape photos.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Why dont you use the chance to slip in the constituents heraldic devices at the same time. I woul have started with the NER little or no overlapping lines.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I could have a look again. I remember that the images had differing backgrounds/etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 2562 »

Excellent format Richard ! Very informative :D .

Andy
Regards,

Andy.
Isinglass Models
lnernut
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lnernut »

Richard,
I actually started a similar project some years ago trying to use google earth maps as a basis. I was going further back trying to trace all the original lines from the original constituent companies.

I had a map of the NER area and had tried different colours for the original Blyth & Tyne, the Hull & Selby, the Leeds & Selby, the original York & North Midland, the York & North Midland, the Leeds Northern etc.

I recently discovered printed copies at the bottom of a drawer and I am currently searching for the electronic copies.

I had done the NER area, the NBR, the GER and GNSR. I will try to sort them out a little more clearly and post them at some point.

I have the completed (I think) GNSR one.

Martin
Martin
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Martin: Did you draw these on the bitmap, or as actual KML data files for annotating the map?

As web maps are one of my specialities, if you have the data files, I think I could make it more readable. Eg. switchable layers and possibly colours as well.

Otherwise, I'll have a closer look when I get back. i suspect the road maps will be clearer than satellite maps; and I would need to look at the Google EULA - they are sticklers for copyright/etc (although many would argue that they treat other peoples' copyright in a rather blase way).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
ajax103
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by ajax103 »

Jingling Geordie wrote:Watto Richard,
I'm just wandering light engine around this site's minor branch lines and finding it a very rewarding link.

Have you done anything regarding the Great Eastern or the NBR?

I'm the proud owner of a map of BR's Eastern Region published in 1950 by their Surveyors Dept (50.LPY.II). It's in its original framing but unfortunately is glass fronted. Questions

1) Would this be of interest to this web-site's members?
2) I don't want to dismember the frame so how can one photo through glass without getting a reflection?

If you ever are successful, I would love to see the end result, :D
lnernut
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lnernut »

Richard,

I hand drew the lines in on the BMP file. Took considerable time, and not how I would do it if I was going to start again.

It was really just an aid to see where all the lines went and which companies were taken over by the relevent pregrouping company. I have never published the maps on my website and was not really planning to. I might get back to it at some stage but right now have I too much on.

Martin
Martin