Help with image

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Help with image

Post by John B »

I wondered if anyone can help me.

I have scanned an image I would like to go with my signature on the LNER forum, it does not seem to conform to the avatar specifications set out on the site. I quote:

"Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 6 KB."

My image is a 22.00kb jpg. How do I get it down to 6kb? As to the pixel size I would have no idea how to verify this?

Any "idiot proof :wink: " help would be most gratefully recieved?
John B
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think you mean the image at the left? (eg. the "LNER" logo next to my posts). This is what the avatar is. For the signature (the footer on each individual reply - mine is two lines of text), then you need to put the image on the web somewhere, and link to it.
Personally I do not like large signatures. Many forums (esp. the railway ones for some reasons!) have people who have huge images in their signatures. It just clutters the place, and is slow to download for people on modems. You may have seen it before - half a screen of signature image and three words of comment! I would recommend keeping the signature as 2-3 lines of text, instead.

Back to avatars:
I assume you're running on a PC? If you have a proper graphics program, use that (I suspect not, going by your question).
If not, you should be able to use the "Imaging" application provided with Windows (usually listed under Accessories).

Try looking at your image with this.

Page->Properties, then select the "Size" tabe will let you see the size. The default might be inches, so change the units option to "pixels".

Try saving the image as a JPeg ("jpg") file. These let you set the amount of compression, and are good for photos.

I've rarely used "Imaging" so I don't know all of its details - you may need to experiment a bit. If you have trouble, message me and I should be able to help out.

Does this help?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I use Microsoft 'Paint' which is the free one we have, but I don't know of the rest of the world.
In paint, under 'Image' there's a Stretch/Skew where you can shrink the picture down in % both ways.
From my full size camera photos, the ones I post on my 4472 site and on here are down to 38% using paint, I did my Avitar of Scotsmans name plate using paint, here's the full pic;
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Fixed!

x568wcn: Did you upload yours, or link to an image on another site?
(mine is linked)

It looks like the upload option might be broken.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Mine is uploaded, but I have found that long file names don't work, as I like to put date and time and location in the filename, like 1752-020206-york-3 which would be now at York Station platform 3 but tha file name can get long sometimes and has failed it to upload before now!

And Richard although I always post my real name, I noticed you mentioned my username, for the record here is a pic of X568WCN
Attachments
x568wcn.jpg
X568WCN
(80.95 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
x569wcn.jpg
Not to be confused with X569WCN
(97.04 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Sorry Mark - some people use pseudonyms, some use real names, and some use neither - it can get confusing! :?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

No offence Richard, I was just mentioing you were the first to use my user name.
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Help with image

Post by John B »

Richard,

Thanks for fixing my image problem :wink:

I do appreciate all you have done and sorry I took up so much of your time. I am pleased with the image of the LNER badge and wonder if anyone has seen this particular crest before?

Mark, I tried "paint" and was able to reduce the image a little using the reduce/enlage feature but insufficiently to meet the parameters required.

I wonder if there's a freebee on the net that would be worth downloading with which I can mess around with images. By the way I really like X578WCN, especially as I saw Malton written on the cabside (a favourite local market town of mine) - an impressive beast that truck 8) Is it yours? :)
John B
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I can get pictures from any size down using paint, I use Adobe Photoshop for lightening the photos, and then shrink using paint, then microsoft picture it to add the 4472.me.uk

As for the Truck, it's 568, not 578 by the way, it's not mine, and it's long gone from the fleet. I'm a looryspotter, and it's my favorite fleet, then Prestons of Potto, then Eddie Stobart. They aren't at Malton, bu Great Habton near Kirby Misperton where Flamingo Land is, just to the west of Malton, and also at Teesside and in thr Dock at Hull. They aren't a large fleet, but are always getting bigger and have around 130 at the moment.
Attachments
x578wcn-300303.jpg
This is X578 WCN
(109.74 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk