Planned-But-Never-Built Locomotives

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Planned-But-Never-Built Locomotives

Post by Kyle1987 »

I was just thinking the other day, we (and by "we" I mean Richard :P) have covered a large series of locomotives that weren't "true" LNER examples, and was wondering if it may be worth putting up a locomotives (or article) page detailing the Proposed Locomotives that never got further than the drawing board (eg. Gresley's Pre-A1 1915 Pacific, the 4-8-2 "Super Pacific", etc).

It would make for an even further detailed guide of all things LNER, including some things that never got past proposal stage or were scuttled by outside factors (WWII, Nationalisation...)

Does this idea hold water, or is it getting a little too radical?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Planned-But-Never-Built Locomotives

Post by richard »

Could do - perhaps in the technical area of the articles section.

I would need a source of information though. There are drawings and some text in the RCTS books, but I was under the impression it was a bit patchy as to what was covered and in how much detail.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Kyle1987 »

I knew that the RCTS books had some information too but, not having them myself, I'm not sure of the level of detail either...

From what I've heard there may be a wealth of information at the NRM in York. I know that it's not readily-accessible for a lot of the members here, but some others may have gleaned some information from them without even knowing it! Or turned it up in the course of their own research. Maybe a call to anyone who may have any further information perhaps?

But again, as I said before, it's just an idea :)
notrom
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by notrom »

I'd love to see something on this, alway a fascinating 'what if' area. Janes published many years ago a booked called (I think) Locomotives that Never Were, replete with superb paintings.