Clock

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Clock

Post by chaz harrison »

Richard,

I have just noticed that the posting timings are an hour out. Not that it matters that much but BST ended last night.

Chaz
AndyG
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Clock

Post by AndyG »

It seems to be an annoying quirk of all these forums' software that they don't automatically update for summer time.
Go to User Control Panel> Board preferences> Edit global settings> and set summer time in effect to 'NO'.
That should put you right (thanks for the reminder I've just had to do it).

Andy
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Thanks for that Andy, useful pointer.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Well done Andy, hadn't realised that the changed had to be done at my end. Have done the deed (the "It is currently.... " at top right is now showing the correct time. )

Chaz
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It is probably because the forums are hosted in Pittsburgh (US East Coast Time Zone). The site will correct for GMT, but I bet the software (or PHP's clock libraries) do not have a list of the latest quirks. So it will assume that the UK and the US change their clocks at the same time. For example, the US switches from Daylight Savings to standard times next week but Europe changed on Sunday. Hence for the week, there will be a difference of one hour.

The quirks change on a regular basis - just look at your Microsoft updates. Even if the (open source) PHP time libraries are updated with the latest changes for 80+ countries, my ISP host (Pair) is probably very careful about applying frequent "trivial" updates: Pair have a reputation for stability that I'm sure they are keen on keeping.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Richard,

Thanks for the explanation. I think I get it! Once I had read Andy's posting the problem was easily fixed.

Chaz