New section

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StoneRoad
LNER J39 0-6-0

New section

Post by StoneRoad »

Having just found this site, and found somethings to read already! However, I do have a suggestion - make a section for LNER rolling stock ie not motive power.
Saluton. mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: New section

Post by richard »

Welcome to the forums. I will think about your suggestion. I am wary about having too many topics. Also most rolling stock discussions involve modelling - ie. they're already covered by the Modelling topic.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

StoneRoad wrote:Having just found this site, and found somethings to read already! However, I do have a suggestion - make a section for LNER rolling stock ie not motive power.
nice to see some more pictures of the whr chassis 2 no that i built up at greenside it was a most interesting job and i have other pictures taken during the making and most of the fabrication drawings in my keeping
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

With StoneRoad located around the Haltwhistle area perhaps he can show some photos of the Aston branch from the begining untill closure, :wink:

Mr B ... Let see what 'yer made of!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

mr B wrote:With StoneRoad located around the Haltwhistle area perhaps he can show some photos of the Aston branch from the begining untill closure, :wink:

Mr B ... Let see what 'yer made of!
Are you in Birmingham MrB?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
mr B

Post by mr B »

Whoop's, teacher always said he had a 'L' of a job with me in english lessons. :oops:

Still it would be nice to see some photos around the Haltwhistle-Alston area. Sorry 52D but have lived on Teesside, birth certificate say's Slaggy Island, slag's all gone, so's the werk's!

Mr B .. Slaggy Islander
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Speaking of Birth places i was delivered within the sound of a chime whistle being blown on the ECML at Castle Hills Maternity Hospital just up from the Royal Border Bridge.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
mr B

Post by mr B »

Hi 52D, friend of mine, from Morpeth goes for job interview (got the job) nice broad accent, half a dozen interviewing, one young lad - fresh from collage remarks "you speak good English for a German" !

Mr B.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

I can relate to Mr B as I have a very strong Geordie accent and on holiday have been mistaken for a German many times.We sat at the breakfast table for several days with a Welsh family in Turkey and they never spoke until one day the old gal with them asked what part of Germany I came from in all sincerity.
52A

Post by 52A »

I was once called Taffy by a porter on Paddington station, that is much worse!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

No swearing in the forum you mentioned the P word.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

And I think this thread has wandered very far from "Suggestion Box"...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Maybe-but it's very funny!!!! :lol:
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

richard wrote:Welcome to the forums. I will think about your suggestion. I am wary about having too many topics. Also most rolling stock discussions involve modelling - ie. they're already covered by the Modelling topic.

Richard
Trying to get the thread back on topic...

Whilst most discussions might indeed involve modelling not all of necessity should. Surely there is scope for a separate area where the students of history and seekers of truth are not compromised by the 'IMTS' brigade?
barry rhys
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by barry rhys »

StoneRoad wrote:I do have a suggestion - make a section for LNER rolling stock ie not motive power.
richard wrote:Welcome to the forums. I will think about your suggestion. I am wary about having too many topics. Also most rolling stock discussions involve modelling - ie. they're already covered by the Modelling topic.
65447 wrote:Whilst most discussions might indeed involve modelling not all of necessity should. Surely there is scope for a separate area where the students of history and seekers of truth are not compromised by the 'IMTS' brigade?
Hi, all. Nice to be able to say that I agree with the thoughts behind all three of these points.

I agree that valuable info about LNER rolling stock and questions thereon, of which there are quite a few, are very much hidden on the board, because there's no specific section and no obvious place to post them - sometimes in General, sometimes in Model Railways, sometimes even in Railway Chat.

But also, I think the current number and 'breadth of coverage' of the existing sections is just right, particularly for the present amount of posting traffic. With too many sections each covering a very specific topic, the Board main page becomes cluttered while some individual sections would only attract a few posts.

And further, m'lud, I think it is confusing including prototype-specific threads in the Model Railways section - I think most threads requesting prototype info to help build models are posted in other sections (eg. look at the number of threads requesting coaching stock info currently in the General section).

Actually I never understood (though I never asked either!) why LNER Locomotives had their own specific section - granted, "the locomotives and motive power of the LNER and its constituent companies" certainly receives a large amount of posts, but it also excludes any discussion of what I think of as maybe a related area - namely "the other bits that move on the rails", ie. the rolling stock.

My humble suggestion would be to simply extend this section to 'LNER Locomotives And Rolling Stock', for all posts related to ".... the discussion of the locomotives, motive power (Is it really necessary to separate those two??) and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies". So, a section that is obvious for finding rolling stock related threads in; no additional section (just an expanded one); and no compromising of the seekers of truth by the 'It's My Train Set' brigade - though I think that's a bit demeaning, since I think you'll find that most of the owners of My Train Set in the LNER Forum are very much seekers of truth, and it's frequently them that are posting the prototype questions!

My thoughts only.

Neil
Half Welsh, 100% Yorkshireman