Attachment changes

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Attachment changes

Post by Bryan »

Re your Official post Richard.
As a way of reducing the storage capacity problem.
Would it be possible to delete older photos especially those of non historic value?
I know this means deciding what is not of historic interest but may be a means of adding capacity.
Or could a reduction in quality of photo help?
If anyone wants to view in a higher quality then a PM between parties should do the trick.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Attachment changes

Post by 52D »

Perhaps we could open a photosharing account and archive material after a certain period on the site.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

I think we all have to show a bit more discipline, especially we modellers, and ask whether we need to post all the photos we do. Professionals show only the best and discard the rest. On the other hand the "Photos" forum lives from photos, and it would be a shame to cap things like "Return to Grantham" because of lack of server space.

I read somewhere else about free photo servers - does anyone have an "operating manual" for their use?

Peter
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes a higher compression rate on JPEGs would definitely help - it is the disk size that matters rather than the actual resolution. Resolution can be useful in some cases, and the forum software can handle large images so that they don't mess up the formatting.

re. older images: Picking them out for archiving could be difficult. The ideal solution would be if the forum software stuck them on Amazon S3 (where I put the static images). I suspect my Amazon charges would 2-3 dollars in access charges, but that actual storage costs are less (I'm currently paying about $3/month for quite a few gigabytes and it is a sliding scale no overage penalties - that doesn't cover access costs though)

Periodically clearing out images and attachments in your private messages should also help. Perhaps I should disable such attachments: you can always send them by email.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

I've got Corel PhotoPaint on the computer, so for the couple of images I have posted, I have used a mask and cut out the uninteresting parts of the picture. Next time I'll increase the compression as well,

Peter