A generic "What if?" thread?

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

A generic "What if?" thread?

Post by Kyle1987 »

OK, right now we have the "What if Bulleid had stayed?" and "What if Nationalisation didn't occur in 1948?" threads open, however these relate to very specific "what if?" questions.

Would it be a good idea to create a generic "What If? - LNER" thread in which a topic is posted (eg. What if the York-Newcastle electrification was continued in 1923? or How would the LNER have looked if WWII never occurred?) and discussed until it runs out of steam, at which point a new question is posed? That way we could save ourselves opening multiple threads and enjoy going over quite a few different hypothetical situation, had history taken a slightly alternate route...

Or should we just open one thread per topic?
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: A generic "What if?" thread?

Post by James Brodie »

What if we have a referendum on which what ifs to have? Jim Brodie.

now then how do I get my tongue out of my cheek!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think one thread per topic - perhaps Railway Chat will be the best place for many of these?

I'll re-iterate my usual response that I'm wary of adding too many forums. I much prefer a few busy ones over lots of quiet ones that take up many screens to scroll through.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

richard wrote:I think one thread per topic - perhaps Railway Chat will be the best place for many of these?

I'll re-iterate my usual response that I'm wary of adding too many forums. I much prefer a few busy ones over lots of quiet ones that take up many screens to scroll through.

Richard
I tend to agree. "What if?" topics don't tend to crop up all that often, and adding another forum would take up space for something that is not all that busy. Stay with 'Railway Chat".

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Kyle1987 »

I think I may have worded myself poorly; I didn't intend to create a whole sub-board simply for "What if?" questions :) It was the suggestion of only a single topic/thread (eg within Railway Chat - as is the "Hengist - new build" topic) being created, with all questions being made within that. Therefore a new "question" is simply posted beneath the last response of the previous question within said thread

I hope that I'm making sense here (I'm not feeling very eloquent this morning); just wanted to make sure we're all on the ssame page (so to speak 8) )
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Sure - go ahead! It would be a good place to put such idle wonderings. The only thing is we'll have to keep pointing people towards the thread.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia