Spellchecker

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Spellchecker

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Hi Richard,

Is it possible to incorporate a spellchecker in the message posting window (where I'm typing now)?

I am sure it would be of assistance to some and relieve the irritation of others!

Kind regards,

Jim
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Spellchecker

Post by PinzaC55 »

It would be nice but it wouldn't resolve the problem of "their - there" or "your - you're".
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Every little bit helps as they say!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

A lot of browsers have spellcheckers built in - check your options. I know Firefox has one - it defaults to American splelings!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

richard wrote:A lot of browsers have spellcheckers built in - check your options. I know Firefox has one - it defaults to American splelings!
Aye and you can download other dictionaries...
And what a list :shock:
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

..... In case of help/interest, I've just noticed in the current issue (No.379, "30 August - 12 September") of Computer Active mag. (I have no commercial connections or interest) that there's a 'Workshop' piece "Add a spell-checker to Internet Explorer" on pp.36-37; - (something to do with an 'Add-on' from http://www.speckie.com).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Perhaps I should explain why I'm suggesting a browser based checker: Yes it could be done at the server (assuming phpBB supports server spell checking) but it would be very slow for users. You'd post your posting, and it would then have to spell check it, send it back with all the words marked, etc. It is a round trip, and in most cases between continents. It would be tedious to the point that few people would actually use it.

The other option is to do it in the browser using JavaScript. Again, I don't know if phpBB supports such a system. This would work much better, except you'd have to download the spell checker and its dictionary each time you wrote a message. True, caching would greatly speed this for most people, but you'd still be reloading the spell checker each time you started the browser or your PC.

Therefore, I think a spell checker based in the actual browser is probably your best bet. As a bonus, it even works on other websites!

(I note that Firefox has highlighted phpBB as a spelling error in the above text)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I use Google Chrome as my browser and it has a spellchecker but (of course) it use American spellings (color, realize) which is irritating. :cry:
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

PinzaC55 wrote:I use Google Chrome as my browser and it has a spellchecker but (of course) it use American spellings (color, realize) which is irritating. :cry:
Still perhaps a helpful improvement for some? They could always type with an American accent! :lol:
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

PinzaC55 wrote:I use Google Chrome as my browser and it has a spellchecker but (of course) it use American spellings (color, realize) which is irritating. :cry:
In Chrome's settings you can add English (United Kingdom), and use that for display and spell checking.

Sawdust.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

As a stick-in-the-mud, I still use "traditional" Gooooogle which has no spell checker. One would be ver welcome indeed mainly to correct my flying fingers....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!