What time is it?

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

What time is it?

Post by notascoobie »

Good evening,

I'm in the UK and on my laptop the LNER Forum time is 8:18 pm. However, my watch tells me it's 7:18pm and I wasn't late for work this morning. My computer tells me it's 19:18 so I don't think it's me.

The posting times seem to be 1 hour out from reality.

Is it feasible to adjust the Forum so that times reflect reality please?...... or is there something I don't understand? and that includes my stupidity!

Regards,

Vernon
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: What time is it?

Post by richard »

Have you tried setting the timezone in your User Control Panel?

Guests are set to "UTC".
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thanks for that Richard.

I had made the foolish mistake of assuming that the website would work seamlessly with my computer. I encounter no other website where I need to adjust the settings for such a basic thing as local time.

I've obviously been spoilt!

However, I recognise that the enthusiast's site might not be as slick as givemeallyourmoney.com and I appreciate your efforts in getting us together. Please keep up the good work.

Regards,

Vernon
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

What you are seeing is server time (Pittsburgh) adjusted as per your personal settings. Guests are defaulted to UTC, and I assumed new accounts are - perhaps you signed up during summer time?

It is actually a lot simpler than messing around with client Javascript, etc.

Also it is a lot more reliable - all forum posts must be to the same clock for consistency. It would be chaos if everyone's posts had the time on their PC (all PCs being different of course). Post would appear to be in the future, on the wrong day, etc. You could, in theory, record them with the server time, but you would still need a manual adjustment to make sure the recorded times are then reported to your personal preference.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia