Adding photos to posts - file size

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Adding photos to posts - file size

Post by 1H was 2E »

I think I've worked out how to add photos to posts - "add file". However, mine get rejected because they are bigger than 500kb. My digital camera photos are about 1 to 1 1/2 mb. Is there an easy way of reducing their size; I have Windows 8 but not no photo manipulation software?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Adding photos to posts - file size

Post by 60800 »

MS Paint (built in with all Windows packages);
resize.png
I usually have to resize my photos to 30% for the forums

For good photo manipulation, I use Gimp2, which is a free secure download :)
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

Irfanview, which is free, can save to a specific size.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Saving as a JPEG also helps (Blackout's example is a PNG: PNGs do not compress photos very well but are great for line drawings). A JPEG also lets you choose the amount of "lossiness". You can greatly reduce the disk size for some small loss in image quality. Set this as appropriate for your image. Generally photos can be compressed a lot before the loss in quality is noticeable (in contrast, line drawings are more susceptible).
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the delay, been doing the Soho, Perry Barr and Wolves avoiding line jcts courtesy Virgin and CC and Network Rail engineering work. So much in Windows 8 isn't apparent immediately, and I find the manual is not friendly for reference but meant to be read through and I've not had time to do that. My problem was with digital camera photos as for film the originals could be re-scanned. Thanks again everybody who responded.