Recent Spam Attack

This forum is for suggestions and discussion about this site. What would you like to see?

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Recent Spam Attack

Post by Tom F »

After last night (and this mornings) recent spam attack. Would it be possible for accounts to be required activation by an Admin or Mod, so IP and account names can be checked before they join.

I'm a member of Modellers United forum, which uses the same software as LNER forum, and we now have accounts set for 72hour activation period, plus users first 5 posts are moderated, to stop things like spam attacks.

Cheers

Tom
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Recent Spam Attack

Post by strang steel »

I think that is a very good idea, especially the first five posts being moderated. I have just looked at the new members list from the last 48 hours, and there are almost 30 with very suspicious names. We may be in for a lengthy spell of undecipheral nonsense added to each thread.

Why vodka fuelled Russians would bother with this forum is beyond me, unless it is a concerted effort to disrupt all western internet traffic on the 50th anniversary of JFK's death.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the few spam posts over the past few hours were from people who signed up before I changed things - I'm about to delete them.

Moderating new posts might be harder - I'll see what I can do.

The "VIP" question is surprisingly effective until someone catches on and feeds it into a robot script.
I think this is the third time I've changed it in 7-8 years?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Deleted all the recent dormant accounts. quite a few from the Ukraine too - even though they were pretending to be from places like the Dutch Antilles.

The first five posts from a new member are now also moderated.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Richard,

I trust that everyone who uses this site is grateful that you put so much into ensuring its integrity in all senses.

Thank you.

John
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

richard wrote:Deleted all the recent dormant accounts. quite a few from the Ukraine too - even though they were pretending to be from places like the Dutch Antilles.

The first five posts from a new member are now also moderated.
It's worked well for us on Modellers United Richard, and is a first line of defence agains such attacks.
Glad it's helped.

Cheers
Tom Foster
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

JASd17 wrote:Richard,

I trust that everyone who uses this site is grateful that you put so much into ensuring its integrity in all senses.

Thank you.

John
I would certainly second that, with pleasure.

Thank you very much Richard.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Yes, I concur with this.

Thanks very much Richard.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

It's such a shame that it's others from outside try and spoil everything.

Thanks Richard.
Tom Foster
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

On Facebook my group is a member of a group of railway and other transport groups who operate a mutual warning against spammers. The basic spam we have had to deal with includes Shoe and Sunglasses spam from mostly oriental sources or using oriental sounding names and European financial spam usually French. There is also a certain few malicious spammers who infiltrate groups and then proceed to insult members and use profane language in postings.
If anyone has a facebook group that would like to have a little bit of advanced warning and names of spamming accounts drop me a pm and I will put you in touch.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I am very grateful that you are so pro-active in de-spamming the Forum. The LMS Forum was killed by these vermin.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Hambone
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Hambone »

I think that the forums approach to spam is highly understandable, but it does seem to take a while for posts to be approved, and this may deter newer members. Last night I merely edited my topic's name for more clarity and the entire post has now disappeared.

Another forum I am on, requires account activation by a moderator, as well as having a form to write out informing the admins about yourself and your reasons for registering. It seems quite effective and they have not received issues with spam.

Regardless I'm quite happy to be a part of this forum, the community is quite friendly and very welcoming.

Adam
Adam Hamilton
Narrow Planet - Etched nameplate and kit service
http://narrowplanet.co.uk