Stirling Tenders

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Stirling Tenders

Post by notascoobie »

Hmm that wasn't what I meant..... What was a GNR tender doing in a NER armoured train in WW1, when they GNR and NER were different companies until 1923, apart from supplying coal and water?

Cheers,

Vernon
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

The armoured trains were nothing to do with the NER - the locomotive was GNR, infantry wagons were GWR and the gun trucks at the ends were Caledonian Railway - all armoured by the LNWR at Crewe. During the war and up until the Grouping the railways were under the Government control of the Railway Executive Committee
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thanks for that. What you should have said was "Vernon, read my post properly." You didn't say it was a NER armoured train, I made that connection because it was at Beverly and your handle speaks of the NER. Sorry for being thick.

That said, I was trying to work out where it might have been deployed. Was it to County Durham or North Yorkshire? I ask because the other branches I know of wouldn't have given a good angle of fire against the massed battlecruisers bearing down on dear old Blightie. Or was it deployed to the Lincolnshire coast or even down to the Swedies, where there were more lines running parallel to the coast.

Regards,

Vernon
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

the loco was pretty likely a GNR N1, so logical to have as per modern Fling Scotsman, to have a tender to help it run for longer without opening the armour to fill with coal.
Mortman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mortman »

Has anyone converting the bachmann Emily kept the original chimney?

If they have and don't want it would they sell it to me please

Thanks
Sedgefield
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sedgefield »

Here is a view of the Sturrock tender you won't have seen before.
On its way to the Shildon celebrations in 1975 the tender derailed on the Ground Frame in Darlington Park Lane sidings.
Good old days pre Health and Safety. The incident brought us all out of Park Lane offices and workshops. Look at those sideburns!
CL15c 1975 Stirling Single Derailed brt.jpg