Livery question.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Livery question.

Post by MikeTrice »

Thank you for mentioning the Leech book diagram. Yes, odd isn't it. I wonder if this is the dimension of the preserved Single. The dimensions I quoted are from the original GNR painting diagram.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

There are a number of painting diagrams at the NRM in the Doncaster lists. See this one, for instance
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Bill Bedford wrote:There are a number of painting diagrams at the NRM in the Doncaster lists. See this one, for instance
Thanks Bill. The corner radius does not appear to be stated but at least the draughtsman has kindly left a clear pin-prick mark in the top left hand corner of the lining where he placed his bow compasses to draw it :)
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Bill Bedford wrote:There are a number of painting diagrams at the NRM in the Doncaster lists. See this one, for instance
Thanks for this link, Bill. Being a former draughtsman I found it interesting that the tender was drawn at a scale of one inch to the foot. I wonder why was the need for the drawing to be so big. I have a 23" monitor and have blown the drawing up to 400% to fill the screen and the text is still so small I can't read it.

It took me to another link on the same site about coaches which has been a topic elsewhere on this site recently which others may find interesting. These seem to be drawn at ¾" to the foot. Seeing that they were drawn by hand in days long before computers, they are works of art and would have taken many hours to do.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ResearchAndArchiv ... geandwagon
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Reminds you of the time when labour was cheap!!!!
Actually it is likely I think that some of the colouring was probably done by apprentices or trainees.
Certainly the drawing boards would have been huge. even at 3/4in to the foot, that is why the photos you see of early days have so
many draftsmen in them, even at Doncaster.

Wonder if York have now scanned all the drawings? or is it only this sample
Paul
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

You can see one of the drawing boards here. We had over 100 boards in our office in the 60s and 70s but smaller than that one, about 3'6" x 5'0".
http://www.nrm.org.uk/ResearchAndArchiv ... ingCo.aspx
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

DS_GS_015.jpg
Is this view any help? BTW any idea of the location.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Remember there were differences, in detail between Darlington painting and Doncaster.

Strange, in the beginning, ie up until about 1911, the R series was only GA's of tenders, Gresley certainly seemed to expand its usage,
so much so that somewhere is a detail drawing for some mods to an N2.

So misfiling is not new!!

Paul
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Thank you to everyone who has pointed out the various painting diagrams. Yes I am aware of them but to the best of my knowledge they do not show the corner radius, hence my original query.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

The painting diagrams show the corner radii, but don't dimension them, presumably because the paintshop had their own template for producing the corners.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Hello all, I'm currently building a London Road Models GNR square-tank C2 (later the LNER C12) and needed to know the radius measurements of the incurved corners too. I tried the method of re-sizing a good quality, straight side-on photo so that it prints at 4mm to the foot, then superimposing marker lines on the photo - zooming in greatly to aid accuracy. I measure the outer corner radius as 1.25mm (3.75” on the prototype) and the inner corner radius as 1.55mm (4.65” on the prototype).

I also learnt some interesting details about variations in GNR lining. For instance, while the earlier square-tank C2s have the same spacing between the outer vertical sides of the lining panels and the side-tank and bunker edges, the later round-tank versions display quite a lot of variety, with the frontmost lining being slightly closer to the side-tank front edge than it is to the front edge of the cab door, while the rearmost lining is considerably closer to the bunker rear, allowing of course for the curved edges. The round-tank versions are not at all consistent as a class either, with those distances varying between locos too.

But... I don't want to clog up this thread with general lining discussion, I just wanted to add my thoughts on the incurved corner radii. If anyone wants to read more about what I measured or how I measured it, please see my build thread on another well-known forum - hope it's OK to add this link: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... h/page/27/

Chas
Chas