LNER Ex GCR J12

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

LNER Ex GCR J12

Post by Pebbles »

I believe Bill Bedford did an etch for this many years ago. Does anyone know where details, other than the weight diagram, can be found.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Ex GCR J12

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Oddly enough, a similar question cropped up fairly recently, so I did some checking back on this website. About a decade ago, Rob Bergin, who used to post regularly in the modelling forum but then left without trace built two of Bill's etches. I don't know if they were test etches or the production version, but here's photographic proof, re-posted from a previous forum image:
IMG_2219.jpg
I understand that Jonathon Wealleans tried to get an etch from Bill almost as long ago, and has been waiting, without result, ever since.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Many thanks for that, and I was aware of the article. The problem is that I'm rather of the view that the etches were based on a weight diagram! However, the rebuilds did have one of Robinson's standard boilers as fitted to LNER J9/10. Useful side photos are rather limited, but I did find a photo in a copy of Locomotives Illustrated. Finally for the life of me I can't find a reference to any possible works drawings for either the loco or tender.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm not immediately aware of anything more helpful, but I'll ask a man who might know.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Many thanks, as I do believe that this a subject worth pursuing.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Don't thank me too much. I've already heard back from my fount of all knowledge and I'm afraid he has no further information.

Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

At present all of my books are packed away. From memory in Leech and Boddy's book on the Stirling Singles they make comment on the fact that so much of what was then of current relevance to the LNER was destroyed after Gresley's death. This may have been what happened in the case of the J12s and would leave only Beyer and Peacock as a possible avenue.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

From a 1951 MRN I have Maskelyne's drawing of a Sacre class 6B later LNER class D12. Maskelyne confess that he had to rather construct this drawing possibly due to a lack of information. I will no doubt have to follow a similar route with the Class 6C. However, it would be a great help if I could get some lead on the Sacre tenders. No doubt, due to the fact that the tender springs were located outside of the tanks, the tank widths should be the same, but tank capacities and wheel bases do differ. Has anyone any ideas where I might look?
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:24 pm Oddly enough, a similar question cropped up fairly recently, so I did some checking back on this website. About a decade ago, Rob Bergin, who used to post regularly in the modelling forum but then left without trace built two of Bill's etches. I don't know if they were test etches or the production version, but here's photographic proof, re-posted from a previous forum image:
IMG_2219.jpg
I understand that Jonathon Wealleans tried to get an etch from Bill almost as long ago, and has been waiting, without result, ever since.
Bill is a member of this forum, and it might be more productive for folk to send a private message - rather than make public comments.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/