Sentinel Railcars

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Flit
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Sentinel Railcars

Post by Flit »

At present there are occasional NuCast OO models appearing on Ebay, and the OO 3D printed shells from Shapeway at £70-80 online (ish).

I currently have Jenkinson's book and a couple of Isinglass dwgs, plus the NERA VOl 3 dwg of 21,22, and lots of photos tweaked with the shadows showing.

Making a working model using a shell, will need an interior, seats, partitions, curtains, etc., and chassis, underframes etc., a driving bogie with cosmetic fascia, and a trailing bogie. I'm happy to have a crack at this challenge but...

Sourcing and fitting out the interior components looks do-able but the bogies are perplexing me. The trailing bogies seem to be either 6'6" or 7', and driving bogie 8' or 8'6" on most of the variants from Dia 89 onwards after the 1928 expansion programme.

Big question .. Were any of the trailing bogies Fox type ? If so that would solve one part of the problem..

If this will work, then a motor bogie drive train with fettled cosmetic sides plus a 7' fox might do to get a reasonably realistic representation.
I see several folks on here have suggested getting as powerful driving bogie as possible, and I'd appreciate advice on both the sets of bogies needed to model this at reasonable cost.

I say "reasonable" because the two most recent Ebay Nu Cast models have sold for £265 +P&P for a working version, and £156 +P&P for a non working version respectively..(this is not an April Fool joke)

All advice gratefully received ... There must be much easier ways of doing this than my cumbersome approach...
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Sentinel Railcars

Post by mick b »

A couple of build threads here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/155029-30 ... nt-5135287

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/154190-ea ... h/page/43/

The second thread the poster Chas has a etched version from Worsley Works on order. Obviuosly a lot lighter than a Nucast whitemetal version.
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

Flit wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:11 pm At present there are occasional NuCast OO models appearing on Ebay, and the OO 3D printed shells from Shapeway at £70-80 online (ish).

I currently have Jenkinson's book and a couple of Isinglass dwgs, plus the NERA VOl 3 dwg of 21,22, and lots of photos tweaked with the shadows showing.

Making a working model using a shell, will need an interior, seats, partitions, curtains, etc., and chassis, underframes etc., a driving bogie with cosmetic fascia, and a trailing bogie. I'm happy to have a crack at this challenge but...

Sourcing and fitting out the interior components looks do-able but the bogies are perplexing me. The trailing bogies seem to be either 6'6" or 7', and driving bogie 8' or 8'6" on most of the variants from Dia 89 onwards after the 1928 expansion programme.

Big question .. Were any of the trailing bogies Fox type ? If so that would solve one part of the problem..

If this will work, then a motor bogie drive train with fettled cosmetic sides plus a 7' fox might do to get a reasonably realistic representation.
I see several folks on here have suggested getting as powerful driving bogie as possible, and I'd appreciate advice on both the sets of bogies needed to model this at reasonable cost.

I say "reasonable" because the two most recent Ebay Nu Cast models have sold for £265 +P&P for a working version, and £156 +P&P for a non working version respectively..(this is not an April Fool joke)

All advice gratefully received ... There must be much easier ways of doing this than my cumbersome approach...
The 6 cylinder single-engined rigid bodied Sentinel railcars had 7' - 0" wheelbase power bogies and 6' - 6" trailing ones. May I suggest that for more information that you get hold of a copy of Yeadon's Register of LNER locomotives, Volume 12 which covers the Sentinel railcars and locos, and also the Clayton ones, too. It is ISBN 1-899624 24 4.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Another option is the Worsley Works etched "kit". You need to source everything other than the actual body etches.