Some Detective Work Please.....

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Some Detective Work Please.....

Post by jwealleans »

Can I suggest that instead of screen prints, links to pictures on Paul Bartlett's site are posted? I know he prefers that and it allows those who may not know of it to discover this fantastic resource.

6 wheel LMS Motor Car Van

6 wheel CCT as stores van
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Not really detective work this one, more of an interesting observation.

RCTS Part 9A, Fig 36 shows an ex Metropolitan M2 working a goods train in July 1939.
The leading vehicle appears (to my eyes) to be an ex GN van, with what appears to be a freshly out-shopped livery including a white roof.

Interesting that older vehicles were still being well maintained despite the war clouds gathering.

Would anyone else care to comment?
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

In Brian Stephenson's LNER Album Volume 1, on page 100, there is a photograph of an LNER Exhibition. According to the caption it was taken at Romford on June 6th 1936. In addition to a truck-load of people being swung about by a steam crane, and 2512 showing off her stainless steel boiler bands, there is an GER Y5 0-4-0ST hauling a six wheel coach.

The coach is in a two part livery, but clearly lettered LNER.

I have never seen any reference to any of the camping coaches matching this picture.

Has anybody any information?

(And/or intelligent supposition!)
Last edited by drmditch on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I imagine there were not two exhibitions in Romford in June 1936, so the picture of Y5 7230 with green and cream liveried six wheeler CC14 must have been taken on the same occasion. (The Big Four in Colour 1935 - 50)
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Many Thanks. For some reason that's not a book I have in my collection.

At the moment I can't seem to find the articles I know I have about Camping Coaches. I'll browse more later. The reason I asked the question was that I know I have seen references to ex-GN six wheelers being used, but to my inexpert eyes the panelling on this coach doesn't look GN.

Is this just me, or could it have some other source?
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

drmditch wrote:At the moment I can't seem to find the articles I know I have about Camping Coaches. I'll browse more later. The reason I asked the question was that I know I have seen references to ex-GN six wheelers being used, but to my inexpert eyes the panelling on this coach doesn't look GN.
That's because CC14 was an ex-MS&LR third built 1889 numbered 5825.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

billbedford wrote: That's because CC14 was an ex-MS&LR third built 1889 numbered 5825.
Excellent! Thank you. Now I have to look through my library to see if I can find more material regarding MS&LR/GCR coaching stock.
I have a little project in mind!