New buld Y8?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

New buld Y8?

Post by Rlangham »

Apparently in this months Steam Railway magazine there's an article about a new build Y8. Haven't seen a copy yet, but presumably this means the North Eastern Railway Y8 0-4-0 shunter, similar to the Y7. Anyone have any more information on this? We'll be spoiled for choice with NER locos soon - the Q6 just back in steam, the J21, NER autocar, J72, two Y7's and a G5 replica to look forward to and now a Y8!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Not all of those are in steam. Last time I saw the Middleton's Y7, it was in pieces awaiting its time.

Other NER engines include the Q7 and J27 (both have run fairly recently and will return to steam again); and in the NRM there's the D17 & Bouch Long Boiler (both will probably never steam again).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Only the Q6 is in steam, I meant the locos that are currently being overhauled and we can (hopefully) expect to see steaming again in the next ten years or so. There's also 'Aerolite' at the NRM and the electric shunter at NRM Shildon, although like you said those will never run again, unfortunately
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

My understanding was that the J27 shouldn't be too long - it is next in line for the NELPG, although it does have a cylinder crack that needs fixing. Perhaps it will be out before the autocar and the J21...

I've also just checked the Middleton site - it doesn't look there's any work being done on their Y7. I do remember during my visit that they said it was very popular with the kids.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Ahah, it's Beamish that are toying with the idea of building a Y8, as it's perfect size for the demonstration line, and also the sort of boiler (marine type I believe) is the same as that on the other locomotive replicas they have, so easier for the staff to work on. Sounds a great idea, maybe one of the Y7's when overhauled will go to Beamish for a bit too (can't imagine 68088 will have much work at the North Norfolk Railway!)
60099 Call Boy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by 60099 Call Boy »

Lovely little engines they are :D
Just the right size for us cleaners :lol:
81C
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Was at Middleton a couple of months ago. Shes still in bits. Love to see her on the Aln valley when its built, posing as her sister from The North Sunderland Railway.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.