Last 9F hauled Iron Ore Train to Consett

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Last 9F hauled Iron Ore Train to Consett

Post by johndon »

I know that the last 9F hauled iron ore train to Consett ran on 19 November 1966 behind 92063 but what I've not been able to confirm is which loco banked the train from South Pelaw Junction.

If I had to guess I'd say it was Type 4 D242 based out of Gateshead as it was certainly used as a banker on the line, can anyone confirm this?

John
Beamish
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Last 9F hauled Iron Ore Train to Consett

Post by Beamish »

There should be some Gateshead drivers out there who can help you with this. They supplied the EE 4's which, as I remember did their turn for about two weeks before being swapped. On the famous 'last train' a lot of photographers were anxious to 'airbrush' the diesel out of the whole thing so I don't think I've ever seen a pic of it. It would have been nice to think that 92063 could have made a solo trip. Indeed I watched the train come through Beamish without giving the banker a second glance. What I can remember is that the arrival of the Type 4s speeded up the ore trains and a quick check of the couplings between the ore wagons often used to confirm that the diesel banker was pushing up to six of the nine wagons! Still, why not? Those 9F drivers were due a rest. I recall that sometime in 1965 one of the Type 4s caught fire in Beamish ( the Fire Brigade were called) I'm not sure what the reaction was at 52A but they must have told Tyne Dock they'd have to manage without a diesel banker and for a magical dozen or so days we were back to the old arrangement of a 9F front and back.
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

Co-incidentally, a photo of the train has turned up on eBay over the weekend which at least proves the banker was a Type 4, just need to find out which one now...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141399212635? ... EBIDX%3AIT

John
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by billdonald »

Beamish wrote:There should be some Gateshead drivers out there who can help you with this. They supplied the EE 4's which, as I remember did their turn for about two weeks before being swapped. On the famous 'last train' a lot of photographers were anxious to 'airbrush' the diesel out of the whole thing so I don't think I've ever seen a pic of it. It would have been nice to think that 92063 could have made a solo trip. Indeed I watched the train come through Beamish without giving the banker a second glance. What I can remember is that the arrival of the Type 4s speeded up the ore trains and a quick check of the couplings between the ore wagons often used to confirm that the diesel banker was pushing up to six of the nine wagons! Still, why not? Those 9F drivers were due a rest. I recall that sometime in 1965 one of the Type 4s caught fire in Beamish ( the Fire Brigade were called) I'm not sure what the reaction was at 52A but they must have told Tyne Dock they'd have to manage without a diesel banker and for a magical dozen or so days we were back to the old arrangement of a 9F front and back.
Ahem.....I think you meant to say the fireman deserved the rest. Other than pulling open the throttle at Tyne Dock Bottom, the driver had rather an easy shift with a 9F.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland.
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

Well, two years after I asked the question, an article in the latest issue of Heritage Railway magazine has come up with the answer, the banker that day was D277.

John
delticfan
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by delticfan »

Does anyone have information or photos of the 56ton ore hoppers after they were withdrawn. I believe some were used in steelworks minus their hoppers but I can't find any photos of them withdrawn or being cut up.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I was recently watching some dvd archive film footage of some of the Tyne Dock 9Fs on the Consett Iron Ore workings 'slogging' there way up from Tyne Dock bottom to South Pelaw Junction and always of course with a banker pushing in the rear usually a Q6 0-8-0 although a 350hp 0-6-0 diesel shunter was seen as well.

Apparently a 'Midland' 9F 2-10-0 (I would have to re-watch the dvd again to get the loco number & former Midland shed it was allocated to) was transferred to Tyne Dock but because it wasn't fitted with the Westinghouse pump it was only used on banking duties.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi Mickey
I believe it was 92167, which was, at one time, fitted with a mechanical stoker, along with 92165/6. All 3 were allocated to Saltley for a lot of their career.
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Thanks Postman, I guess the North Eastern guy's already knew about the 'Midland' 9F being used on those banking duties up from Tyne Dock bottom.

I shall have another watch of that dvd and if anyone's interested it's called the Power Of The 9Fs and is availalble from Transport Video Publishing and I believe it was originally made during the early-1990s and was originally available on video cassette but these days it is available on dvd.