Strange name

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Strange name

Post by giner »

Guy Gibson. Now there's a name I seem to remember from having watched the original Dambusters movie. I'll have to have a look for the book you mention. Thanks.
neilgow
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by neilgow »

As to strange happenings in the RAF.

During 1968 a pilot flew a Hunter A/C under Tower Bridge. Made all the papers so to speak.

A week later he and said Hunter turned up at RAF Coltishall and he was asked why he did it. As far as he was concerned, it was a good idea at the time.

Or perhaps a Wing Commander who decided to fly a Lightning from Leuchars to Coltishall, as a navigation exercise he chose to follow the A1, He told us it was only as he passed by Ferrybridge power station in a bit of mist that he was actually flying close to and below the cooling towers.

Leaders of men they called them

NG.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

neilgow wrote:Or perhaps a Wing Commander who decided to fly a Lightning from Leuchars to Coltishall, as a navigation exercise he chose to follow the A1, He told us it was only as he passed by Ferrybridge power station in a bit of mist that he was actually flying close to and below the cooling towers.
Funny that you posted that Neil because back in the early 1960s I've always had a strange memory of a Lightning jet flying through our flats in north London!!.

At that time during the first half of the 1960s we were living up in the Crouch Hill area of north London (about a mile north of Finsbury Park) and as a youngster at the time I've always had this strange memory of a Lightning jet that flew very low through our flats one afternoon!?!?.

After posting this memory on another website about a year ago a guy who was on the website and who knew something about aircraft and was in fact a pilot himself claimed it wasn't unusual (back then) for pilots to do 'silly stunts' like that like flying low through a block of flats!!.

Sorry to deviate from the topic heading guys.

Mickey
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

While off topic and mentioning the Hunter under the London bridges; the pilot was a certain Alan Pollock with whom I went to school. His exhibition was designed to draw attention to some seemingly horrendous situation in the RAF at the time, and I seem to remember that he was court marshalled for his pains! It still must have been quite a sight.

Nick Campling
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Quite right Nick,
I met Flt Lt Pollock several times at 1(F)Sqdn Reunions and he was definitely a larger than life type,, especially after a few cooling libations.
From memory it was around the time of the 50th anniversary of the forming of the RAF from the old RFC and a lot of aircrew felt very let down by the perceived "low key" of the official celebrations,,, pretty formations at 1000ft up The Mall etc etc etc.
Al Pollock took it upon himself to liven up the proceedings somewhat,,, with some considerable success.
There was supposed to be 2 of them doing it but the other chap apparently had second thoughts on the final approach to tower bridge.
Last time I saw him was around the 1990's and he was still claiming it was the most efficient way of reducing his bar bill he had ever come across.

A bit of a character!!!

SAD
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
neilgow
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by neilgow »

The fighter jocks may have complained about pretty flights at 1000 feet but I was lucky enough in 1968 to witness the forming up of the 50th Anniversary RAF flypast close to RAF Wyton. Vulcans, Victors, Canberras, Hunters, Lightnings, anything with wings. Fleets of them not just the odd one or two.

Made us proud to belong and serve.

NG.