A4 Bittern at the Bluebelle

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

A4 Bittern at the Bluebelle

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

For any southern softies like myself 4464 Bittern is working on the Bluebelle this weekend.

I shall visit if it's not raining (I am a southern softie).

I have been informed that it will be hauling the 1015 from East Grinstead.

Earlswood nob
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A4 Bittern at the Bluebelle

Post by Hatfield Shed »

T'would be fun if it were dressed up for the day as 4489 DoC in final pre-war condition; Blue, bell.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Less of the softies, we have some big Gresley supporters down at Newhaven Club who have to remind the non-believers of where Oliver came from, followed by him losing his way when he left. I'll post some photos in a few days but I was down at Sheffield Park before 8 this a.m. watching them warm the locos up and with cylinder drain cocks fully open Bittern gave Cheltenham a bit of steam clean as it dragged it out the shed and over the pits. Not totally sure what was going on but she had the drain cocks open for virtually all the trip to East Grinstead, we had some slow running and slipping north of Horsted and beyond Kingscote. It was a shame that the GN saloon was winterised and not running but it great to see the A4 on the Bluebell, I can think of only 3 Gresleys ever to appear, Bittern, Green Arrow and the D49. It partly makes up for the non-appearance of the B1 earlier on in the year.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Thanks for the info 60526. Sadly I had to miss the trip to the Bluebelle. I had a late night saturday, overslept, and slipped coming out of the shower when rushing to get ready. I gave my suspect knee a bad twist, and I can't put any weight on it.
I do like some of Oliver's creations on the S.R., I was converted by watching Spam Cans on St Richards Bridge between Weybridge and Walton on the old LSWR.
I fell in love with Gresley locos when awarded a school prize of a book on Railways at the age of seven.
Any photos of the Bluebelle Festival of Steam would be appreciated.
Now to do a bit of book research on J39 tenders.

Earlswood nob