Howlden Flat Roof Stock End Details

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Howlden Flat Roof Stock End Details

Post by notascoobie »

Hi,

I'm building some Howlden flat roof stock in 7mm scale in 6-wheel, bogie and articulated forms. I'm currently banging my head against a brick wall trying to sort out some end carriage end detail and wondered whether anyone here could help.

My specific problems are these. Firstly, did the 6-wheel brake vans (D310/303 I think) have gas lamp controls on the end of the van? If so which end? Secondly, did articulated sets have one set of gas lamp controls for the whole set or were they only fitted at one end?

Any help, especially piccies most gratefully received.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Vernon
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Howlden Flat Roof Stock End Details

Post by john coffin »

Now then Vernon,
you begin to understand the problem we all have in that early photographs tended not to show the ends of vehicles, it is quite rare to find
even the rear view of a train, let alone the details we now find we need. At the time they were common place, no one really thought to
take the photos. I have some details of preserved carriages, but am not sure how accurate they are in terms of as built.

Pm me for copies if they will help

Memory suggests that 6 wheelers only had the gas gear at one end, otherwise it would take for ever to turn them on or off.
Not sure about artics, but will ask.

paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for Vernon....

manna
Attachments
gnr-mr_push-pull_train_at_hitchin_gnr.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thanks for your replies chaps.

Looking through my books and photos I've got some end views of 6W and bogie flat roof carriages but none of brake vans showing gas controls or of articulated sets. Seems such photos are like hens' teeth!

Cheers,

Vernon
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

Vernon,

This topic was covered briefly before on this Forum or RMweb when Bill Bedford had the same request. There were a couple of pictures posted, I one from John Smart.

I have attached 2 pictures.... one the preserved 45' vehicle at Ingrow showing the brake end with gas piping, the 2nd, the classic Ardwick-Le-Street view of a set of 6 wheelers, the vehicle in the foreground a Luggage brake.. 1458 I think. This photo shows the gas piping from the nearest end although the actual image is quite dark. The further end of the roof shows the handrails for the steps, I can send the original image if you don't already have it.

From a recent visit to the NRM I photographed a few 6 wheel GA's unfortunately none show the routing of the gas piping.

Hope these are of help,

Steve

http://www.gnrsociety.com
Attachments
Adwick Le Street Pcard Brake Coach roof   002.jpg
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

Apologies 2nd image now attached.

Steve
Attachments
GNR 2856 Brake End March 2012 Ingrow small.jpg
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thanks for posting those images Steve. The 6 wheel brake van query is well covered by the Adwick picture. I don't recall seeing it before - does the original view show other vehicles as well?

Cheers,

Vernon
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It does, but I doubt they're helpful for your specific query - it's here.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thanks Jonathan, lovely pic