LSWR/ ROD dia.1549 road vans- owned/ operated by the GC?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

LSWR/ ROD dia.1549 road vans- owned/ operated by the GC?

Post by James Harrison »

Somewhere in my stash of kits waiting to be built I've got a Smallbrook Studios LSWR road van diagram 1545 / 1549 (dia.1549 being 2'' wider and built for the ROD). The kit instructions say that after the war they were sold to the companies that had operated them, which included the Great Eastern, the Great Central and the Metropolitan.

I've read Volume 1 of Taplow's LNER Wagons, which includes these road vans in the Great Eastern section and also in the Metropolitan wagons pages, but not in the Great Central part of the book, as luck would have it.

I've also had a throrough going through of my GCR books to try to find at least a photograph of one, with no joy.

So I have a two-part poser; firstly are the kit instructions right in saying that some of these brake vans were bought by the GCR?- and secondly what were their running numbers?