Flying Scotsman tender

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Flying Scotsman tender

Post by greenglade »

could be Ron...I wasn't sure as to me the GNR is very close in size to the later 8 wheeled tenders...the word small through me...:) in which case the answer is yes...tender no. 5223 was with 4472 (1472) from new until 14/2/28 when it was replaced some weeks later by the corridor tender no. 5323 for the non-stop KX-Waverly run. There was the gap I mentioned when the K3 6 wheeled tender no.5378 was used for the Wembley exhibition 19/4/25-16/11/25.

cheers

Pete
shiney sheff
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by shiney sheff »

Looks like I need to make myself a little clearer :D

Not sure if I am referring to the GNR tender, it does have 8 wheels but is not as high as the corridor tender, and has coal rails? I would assume that if Scotsman did run with the "smaller" tender it would have been in the early days as I have not seen any pictures.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This A1 has a GNR tender. The first batch weer all built with these, until the larger design was produced.
shiney sheff
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by shiney sheff »

So going on that picture, would it be right to assume Flying Scotsman would have had the same tender from new?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Yes

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Manna No lol. you forgot she was fitted with a shorter tender i think from a K3 for the Wembly exhibition.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I said 'Yes' because the question was 'Would it be right to assume Flying Scotsman would have had the same tender from "New"'

The Flying Scotsman entered service with a GN 8 wheeled tender, the GS tender was I believe, was only used at the Wembley exhibition and not in service.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.