GN Coach liveries

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

GN Coach liveries

Post by billbedford »

Could someone point me to a photo which shows the post 1908 GN livery on a short Howlden non-corridor bogie coach, please?
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GN Coach liveries

Post by jwealleans »

I've just been through the GNRS book on Howlden flat-roofed stock and the only passenger carrying vehicles with the longer lettering illustrated in there are the various saloons converted from 4 and 6 wheel stock. There are no pictures of the carriages I believe you're looking for.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GN Coach liveries

Post by 65447 »

I had a look too, but could not find anything. The nearest, and no doubt you've already found this Bill, is the 'compare and contrast' pair of photographs with explanation of the changes to livery and lettering in plates 21 and 22 of Michael Harris' 'Great Northern Railway and East Coast Joint Stock Carriages from 1905', Oakwood. Unfortunately the post-change illustration is of a Gresley bogied and vestibuled carriage. There are however plenty of illustrations that could assist with formulating a likely application of the later livery.