LNER N9 drawings

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dunluce Castle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

LNER N9 drawings

Post by Dunluce Castle »

hello everyone,
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a N9 drawing? Or if anyone has one scanned would they be able to send me a copy?
Thanks in advance,
Nelson
Nelson
1̶6̶ 17 years old and modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: LNER N9 drawings

Post by tomburnham »

Hello Nelson,

An article appeared in the July 1971 Railway Modeller which described the North Eastern Railway 0-6-2 tanks of Classes B/B1, N and U which were the LNER/BR classes N8, N9 and N10 respectively. The accompanying drawings were drawn to a scale of 4mm to 1Ft and are quite basic.

If you require more detailed drawings then the North eastern Railway Association lists in their online Catalogue a General Arrangement Drawing for the Class N (N9) which was originally drawn to a scale of 1In to 1Ft, although the copy held by the NERA may be a reduction from the original scale. It is not shown on the list as having being scanned so may not be immediately available. The reference number is NERA D174 and the Archivist, Richard Lacey, can be contacted at librarian@ner.org.uk .

Large scale detail drawings for the Class N are also listed in the Darlington Locomotive Works Drawings List, also available to view online from the National Railway Museum Website - http://www.nrm.org.uk/ResearchAndArchiv ... Works.aspx

The detail drawings include Frame Arrangement, Smoke box Arrangement, Under hung Tank, Arrangement of Steam Brake, Top steam chest cover & valve buckle, Position of lubricator on lifting link, Arrangement of W.H. brake and Boiler (with angle plate barrel) . There will also be drawings of fittings which were common to many of the NER Classes.

As the Class N was developed from the Class B then many of the drawings for the Class B will also be applicable to the Class N (N9).

Tom.
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
Dunluce Castle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: LNER N9 drawings

Post by Dunluce Castle »

Hello Tom,
Wow, What a great wealth of information, thank you! I got hold of the July 1971 railway modeller and the drawings provided are perfect for my use, if I need further detailed ones then I'll shall pursue your other suggestions,
Thanks again,
Nelson
Nelson
1̶6̶ 17 years old and modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)