Sentinel Steam Railcar questions

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LutterML
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Sentinel Steam Railcar questions

Post by LutterML »

I am conducting research as part of a book of all locomotive, tram, railcar and rail tractor designs. I am trying to ascertain certain layout aspects of the Sentinel Steam railcars.

Diagram 14600-614E (LNER No. 12E)
1. Was the power bogie fixed to the front (power unit) portion of the railcar or did it pivot in relation to the front portion?
2. Was the aft bogie fixed to the rear (passenger) portion of the railcar or did it pivot in relation to the rear portion?

Diagram 88 (LNER No. 21)
1. Was the power bogie fixed to the front (power unit) portion of the railcar or did it pivot in relation to the front portion?
2. Was the aft bogie fixed to the rear (passenger) portion of the railcar or did it pivot in relation to the rear portion?

Diagram 90 (LNER No. 2135 'Integrity')
1. Direct drive was to the rear axle of the power bogie, but how did power transfer to the front axle of the power bogie? (Chain? Conn rod? Direct gear? Gearbox?)

Diagram 93 (LNER No. 2133 'Nettle')
1. Engine drove front axle of lead bogie, but how was power transmitted to rear axle of lead bogie? (Chain? Conn rod? Direct gear? Gearbox?)

Thank you for any assistance and Best regards.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Sentinel Steam Railcar questions

Post by Graeme Leary »

Take it you've had a look at Part 10B of the RCTS series for some 50 odd pages of info on Sentinels (which is a bit cheeky of me to suggest this as I have been directed to various volumes of these great manuals by other forum members when I've been trying to get 'the facts' on all sorts of LNER locos). Even Part 10A may have some relevant info for the other items you mention.
My interest in Sentinels was whetted when I saw an old historic film of one of these tearing along some Northern England line and now I'm trying to pluck up courage to start assembling a kit of one I bought last UK trip - and kit making (other than card kits) is NOT my strong point!
Good luck with your research.
Graeme Leary
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

The chain drive Sentinels (diagrams 14600-614E, 88, 89) the passenger car was pivoted onto the rear of the power unit. Both axles were powered by a chain drive.

On all other Sentinels only one axle was powered.

All these railcar had normal carriage bogies at the passenger ends.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

You might also try David Jenkinson's British Railcars published about 12 years ago.
LutterML
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by LutterML »

Thank you all. Your information on configuration and book suggestions is much appreciated.

Regards