4472/60103 "Flying Scotsman" and her whistles

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

TheSteamKing82
NER Y7 0-4-0T

4472/60103 "Flying Scotsman" and her whistles

Post by TheSteamKing82 »

I have heard that 4472 has had a chime whistle fitted on her along with her original bell whistle prior to her overhaul in 2006, but since she is now finally back in operation, I am curious to know if the two whistled will still be fitted on her when she is back out on the mainline, or will only her bell whistle be retained to remain as authentic to her original 1963 condition as possible?

Plus I would like to know excatly where the chime whistle came from and when it was added on her, cause it doesn't seem to me it was on the locomotive had it since she was built, or was it? And about the American bell and whistle that was fitted to her during Scotsman's trip to America back in '69, I am aware the cowcatcher bufferbeam might be at the NYMR (from what I've heard a couple of years ago), but what of the bell and American whistle, and if there were any recordings taken of them?
S.A.C. Martin

Re: 4472/60103 "Flying Scotsman" and her whistles

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

The chime whistle was added in the Marchington era (1999/something-2004) and was a south african chime whistle (totally non authentic). She has only been fitted with her LNER (and originally GNR) design whistle this time around.

No idea about the bell or whistle I am afraid, sorry.
TheSteamKing82
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by TheSteamKing82 »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:The chime whistle was added in the Marchington era (1999/something-2004) and was a south african chime whistle (totally non authentic). She has only been fitted with her LNER (and originally GNR) design whistle this time around.

No idea about the bell or whistle I am afraid, sorry.
Had no idea the chime was South African. Interesting to know... I can only wonder why Marcington fitted a South African chime whistle on her of all things.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Potentially was the only one available at the time, and they may have felt the LNER whistle wasn't impressive enough. That is the only whistle she carries currently, incidentally, and like Tornado the original whistles chosen aren't quite as deep or impressive as the A4 style chime whistles. However, Scotsman's original whistle is the one I remember from my childhood and I look forward to hearing it again on the 25th at King's Cross station.
crispy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by crispy »

The chime whistle is indeed a S A R whistle which actually belongs to Roland Kennington , I believe it was given to him in Australia and was fitted behind the R H side smoke deflector , he has as far as I know got it back from the NRM.