Help needed identifying this NE liveried 'load' on GNSR wagon

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Help needed identifying this NE liveried 'load' on GNSR wagon

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I suppose, we could say that we we're all 'sucked' in to that one.

Hat, coat, gone..........

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

One final question if I may (the main body of the vacuum cleaner housing is cutting as I type) is what would a vacuum cleaner wagon actually be used for?

Thanks again for everyone's input it makes research really enjoyable.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'd always assumed cleaning carriages, but that remains only an assumption.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

There is some evidence that they were also used at those Hotels which were attached to larger stations, but I agree in all likelihood, for carriage cleaning, and with regard to the tap, maybe it is rather like a "HENRY" and used to pick up water or liquid spills too.

look forward to seeing it Rob. By the by now you have had the machine for some time, how valuable is it, and is it worth the money, whatever that was?

Paul
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Paul,

To be honest I have no idea how much it was because my good lady bought it for my brithday. But was it worth the money, yes every penny in my book but I suppose it depends on what your interests are.

I managed to crack on nicely with it last weekend. Here is my interpretation of the vacuum cleaner

someone in my enquiries mentioned the fact that it had a lock so I couldn't resist. - not that it shows up too well in white.

I also managed to get a fair way with the wagon itself but I left it up north so no photo's until it's a bit nearer.

One question when it's says pre 1937 livery would that be engineers Oxford Blue do you think?
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 60527 »

You wouldn't like a commission for a second one? Not sure I could justify it on my GNSR branch line, but you never know!!

Looks great.

I will ask on the GNSRA Forum regarding the livery.

John
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

I contacted Keith Fenwick, rolling stock expert of the GNSRA, but he had no definitive answer as to what the wagon and it's load was for but did question how the load was secured to avoid movement in transit. Unfortunately only the top of the baulk timbers are visible in the photograph, so there are not any clues as to fixings.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

65447 wrote:I contacted Keith Fenwick, rolling stock expert of the GNSRA, but he had no definitive answer as to what the wagon and it's load was for but did question how the load was secured to avoid movement in transit. Unfortunately only the top of the baulk timbers are visible in the photograph, so there are not any clues as to fixings.
Many thanks for asking, as you say only the tops are visible but there is the impression of bolts at the left hand end - or that's what I am interpreting them as, some sort of fixing.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Some nice detail on the Vacuum load, even the roofing is a tad wrinkled.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Bit like some of us...........wrinkled :lol: myself included :wink:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

52D wrote:Some nice detail on the Vacuum load, even the roofing is a tad wrinkled.
Fingers crossed they will disappear once I get a coat of paint on it.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

No leave it, it makes it look even better.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

This weekend saw lot's of little movements on various projects. One of them being more progress on the GNSR Vacuum cleaner wagon.

The axleboxes are extensively modified Slaters Gloucester Carriage and Wagon spares paired with Parkside BR W Irons that I filled the hole and then cut out to form the 'W'. - They came as optional spares with my plate wagon kit. The Springs I bought from Slaters by mistake - I thought that I was getting W Irons with springs attached and axle boxes but when they came they were just springs and axleboxes....
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

This little beauty has moved on a bit. It now has buffers borrowed from another kit and brakes from the spares box.

kingfisher24
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by kingfisher24 »

Apologies for delay in response; I solicited some assistance from a good friend in the Great North of Scotland Railway Association, and post the responses from two members herewith:

From John Ross: "Still trying to solve what this wagon is and did. The original photograph is credited to John Emslie and was taken 14/08/1953 at Kittybrewster and the wagon is a diagram 1s No. 982001 and both it and its load are still in pre 1936 livery. The date of 1953 would seem right as in the background of the original photograph is a Gresley coach in BR “Blood & Custard” livery. On the same page of the book that the photo appears Peter Tatlow writes that this wagon was built in 1909 and transferred to Departmental duties.

On page 187 of David Ross’s GNSR history he states that in June/July 1918 Vacuum cleaning equipment was installed at Kittybrewster for the cleaning of carriages. Sadly he does not say if this was fixed plant or the box that appears in the photograph.

I have not uncovered any other information, but the attraction of the Vacuum Cleaning wagon has inspired one 0 gauge modeller called Rob Pullman to have a go at recreating this vehicle, see this link for details http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpulham/

From Doug Flett: "Difficult to tell with any certainty but the simplest solution is usually the best. To me it looks like the 'body' has been on the ground for some reason. But if it had been used as a bothy there would have been a window. Of course, there may be on the other side. It cannot be a container because there are no lifting ring bolts (no twist locks in those days), nor would it have the massive wooden underframe. It cannot have been a container or wagon body because there is no lettering on the side - number, carrying capacity etc. The 'body' could not have been in use on that wagon body because it is loaded off centre - a cardinal error on a 4 wheeled wagon. I would guess that the wagon and its load are waiting to be broken up. Maybe at KB or Inverurie and the 'body' has just been dumped on the wagon for convenience.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
Doug"