Help needed identifying this NE liveried 'load' on GNSR wagon

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Help needed identifying this NE liveried 'load' on GNSR wagon

Post by Robpulham »

Hello all,

Whilst browsing the scottish volume of Tatlows LNER Wagons I cane across this strange NE liveried load on the back of a GNSR 8 ton drop side wagon and wondered what it was with a view to perhaps having a go at making something similar as a wagon load myself.
NE container.jpg
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Help needed identifying this NE liveried 'load' on GNSR wagon

Post by D2100 »

I think it's an early container Rob. That would explain it being lettered N E , which a 'non-railway' load like a packing case wouldn't be.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Could it be a household removal container !!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm less convinced, unless it's a very early prototype - there don't seem to be any slinging or chaining brackets or attachments and looking at the visible side, both those panels open and fold in half, but there's an upright in the middle, dividing the open side.

I can't say what it is, but it doesn't look robust enough for a container to me.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

The wagon number plate in the centre of the solebar begins with a '9', suggesting non-revenue earning. Might it be a mobile 'shed' or 'store' for the Engineering or some other Department? It is mounted on timbers that raise the height sufficiently for the side doors to be opened over the wagon sides.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Likewise, for want of a better description, the appearance suggests to me a store cupboard or display case; the construction has more than a little of a suggestion of furniture joinery about it. It must have made a few journeys from the dirt deposited on the 'NE'. Do we suppose it may have been bolted to the wagon floor, given the absence of anything visible securing it to the vehicle?
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

not being an expert in this particular area, like many others of course :oops: , I looked carefully at a larger view of the photo
and it seems that at the right hand end there is a tap. Wonder if this is an oil or liquid container which has been covered for security?

Interesting addition to any traffic though, but as a security container even more interesting.

Paul
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

There also looks to be an exhaust pipe poking out of the roof. could it be a mobile generator?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'd assumed that was on the building behind, but maybe not.
D2100

Post by D2100 »

A tap and an exhaust? Portaloo :wink:
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

john coffin wrote:not being an expert in this particular area, like many others of course :oops: , I looked carefully at a larger view of the photo
and it seems that at the right hand end there is a tap. Wonder if this is an oil or liquid container which has been covered for security?

Interesting addition to any traffic though, but as a security container even more interesting.

Paul
Hi Paul,

I had noticed the tap (if that's what it is) but like Jonathan with the chimney/exhaust thought that it was part of the building behind.

Many thanks for the input all, it's quite an intriguing example and one which will no doubt create a bit of comment once I have recreated it in miniature.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

TRESTROL wrote:There also looks to be an exhaust pipe poking out of the roof. could it be a mobile generator?
No visible air intake or waste heat vents... and who'd put such a heat-generating device inside a timber box?
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

The tap is definitely sticking out of the side of the box, but I am not sure where the "chimney" is. It seems too small and narrow to be from a building, but it does seem that it might be a vent for any tankage within the wooden crate.

I too do not think it likely that it would contain a piece of machinery, even in those days, they tended to use metal containers for particularly
generator type devices, indeed, even the early "hoover" vehicles were inside metal containers. Interesting that it is next to a Gresley carriage,
wonder if it had anything to do with carriage cleaning?

Paul
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 60527 »

The vehicle appears to be LNER 982001, which was based on low side number 472 and was converted in 1909 to a Vacuum Cleaner Wagon and was based in Aberdeen. There is no known date for withdrawal.

John
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

60527 wrote:The vehicle appears to be LNER 982001, which was based on low side number 472 and was converted in 1909 to a Vacuum Cleaner Wagon and was based in Aberdeen. There is no known date for withdrawal.

John
Thanks John,

The accompanying text confirms it as 982001 - A vacuum cleaner wagon certainly would explain the "tap" and exhaust/air intake.

Thanks very much.