LNER Train Classification

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Trecker
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER Train Classification

Post by Trecker »

I have recently acquired a copy of the November 1947 Southern Area General Appendix. It mentions No.1 Express Goods, No.2 Express Goods, No.3 Express Goods, Class "A" Goods, Class "B" Goods, Class "C" Goods and Class "D" Goods in relation to the standard code of engine head lamps or discs.
What do theses classifications mean and where can I find the definitions in LNER documents?

Cheers
John Wayman
Mickey

Re: LNER Train Classification

Post by Mickey »

When i first came on the railway as 'box lad' in 1972 the 3 regular signalmen at the box i was at were all former LNER men two of them starting on the LNER in the mid/late 1930s and the third man starting on the LNER during the mid 1920s and all three of them occasionally referred to goods or freight trains as either 1 speeds or 2 speeds.

It doesn't answer your question directly but it's usage was still in use during the early 1970s.

Mickey
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: LNER Train Classification

Post by WTTReprinter »

Morning!

The LNER classifications where phased out when BR introduced a standard national classification, based on the former LMS system on 5th June, 1950.
I've just had a quick look through my stuff and found a briefing leaflet for the introduction. Express Goods 1, 2 & 3 became class C-E whilst Goods A,B,C & D became F,H,J & K. Engines became G.

Basically, each class had a decreasing priority, from Expresses at the top down to pick up goods at the bottom.
With regards to freight, express goods were usually braked (or a high percentage braked) goods which were timed faster than those with less brake force, down to the unfitted trains. How the goods was classified was derived from a calculation of brake force available, type of engine, length and weight of train and the route it was travelling over (gradients being the main issue)

Hope this helps
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/