B17 Sandringham Class Photographs

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Resmoroh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

B17 Sandringham Class Photographs

Post by Resmoroh »

Hello,
New to the forum, but not to the subject. Was a train observing person at Peterborough (Spital Bridge) from 1939-1952. Hope this is the right forum for this request?
One of the B17 Sandringham Class locos was named "West Ham United". I understand that when many of that class were withdrawn/scrapped most of the 'football' name plaques were presented to the club concerned.
My son and grandson are avid West Ham supporters.
Does any one know if the "West Ham United" plate was presented to the club? Or, if not, does anyone have an image of the loco bearing that name?
TIA
Resmoroh
Meteorology is a science. Good meteorology is an art.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: B17 Sandringham Class Photographs

Post by Kestrel »

Hi Resmoroh

Welcome to the fold

I've looked on the net and found this for you. You will find it answers your question.

http://theyflysohigh.co.uk/train-now-st ... 4585619623
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I always thought that the "Footballers" kept the club colours either side of the ball right to the end. So wondering how WHU ended up in 'green and gold'. Did others?

Wondering also how Man. U. got a plate, but not Man. City.
Resmoroh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Resmoroh »

Very many thanks for that website - much appreciated. It is just what I wanted.
Rgds
Resmoroh
Meteorology is a science. Good meteorology is an art.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

giner wrote:Wondering also how Man. U. got a plate, but not Man. City.
Why no 'Lincoln City''?
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

I am building a 5in B17 and can help in some way
First of all I am 99% certain that all the plates were offered to each football club.
Two possibly were not being Newcastle United and Manchester City The former as the plates only existed on the loco for a matter of weeks, before being named The Essex Regiment .
Manchester City led a bit of a chequered existence and is best understood by th following from Vol 1 of RCTS green book

Allocated name As in Traffic
2848 Huddersfield Town Arsenal
2849 Derby County Sheffield United
2850 Sunderland Grimsby Town
2851 Middledborough Derby county
2852 Sheffield Wednesday Darlington
2853 Arsenal Huddersfield Town
2854 Manchester City Sunderland
2855 Leeds United Middlesborough
2856 Grimsby Town Leeds United
2857 Doncaster Rovers Doncaster Rovers
2858 Newcastle United Newcastle United ( see above)
2859 Sheffield United Norwich City (renamed East Anglian) plates put on 2839
2860 Norwich City Hull City
2861 Hull City Sheffield Wednesday
As far as i am awre the remaining were ex works as listed
2862 Manchester United
2863 Everton
2864 Liverpool
2865 Leicester City
2866 Nottigham Forest
2867 Bradford
2868 Bradfod City
2869 Barnsley
2870 Manchester City ( renamed Tottenham Hotspur) plates moved to 2830
2871 Manchester City (renamed Royal Sovereign)
2872 West Ham United

The colours were normally the shirt colours. 2849/50/53/54/58/61 had verticlal stripes, although some were changed to horizontal 2857 changing most often!
2856 has 'halved side panels of old gold and Blue but post war were white
Norwich halved Dark green and Yellow and an be seen above the tunnel entrance at the ground Hull the same
2872 were claret and blue, but red post war. I vaguely recall seeing a plate on the outside of the ground some years ago
Spurs had a small cockerel painted on each half adjacent to the ball On All the engines the balls were full size half footballs T panelled
The colours were on a black background and darker colours had a white 3/16 border, and the lighter colours a black lining
Pendon Museum has a Middlesborough plate and the late lamented Big four Museum in Bournemouth had a Manchester United oe
spurs have both unpainted, the last time i saw them, in the foyer
The reasons for 2859/70 being renamed were to provide the B17/5 'A4' locoas for the East Anglian
all of the Clubs were within the areas served by the LNER ( Liverpool being on the CLC area)
When they forst cme out the footballers were on the GC while th 2800-47 series were GE due to the smaller turntables and therefore smaller tender a la B12 the 2848-72 has Group standard tendersIt is wrongly assumed that the B17 were dediated 'Royal Engines' Not so When the two D16 8783/7 were replaced it was by a B2 rebuild namely 2871 which was named Royal Sovereign. When this was withdrawn the plates were transferred to 2832, also a B2 rebuild and even the KGV1 funeral train was hauled by 2817 another B2!

An example
Attachments
IMAG0791.jpg
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Thanks, Silver Fox. That's more changes than a teamful of muddy shorts on a soggy Saturday. :D
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Pyewipe Junction wrote:
giner wrote:Wondering also how Man. U. got a plate, but not Man. City.
Why no 'Lincoln City''?
Yes, and no Scunthorpe United, either. Still, I suppose Ipswich and Colchester might have a grumble as well. :D
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

The first Three were FA Cup semi finalists in 1936 The fourth was Fulham .in Southern territory

All the others were either in Div 1 or 2. The exception being Darlington in Div 3. Word has it that as Doncaster Rovers were included The guys at Darlington where they were built were a bit miffed at being left out, so they lobbied to get their team in

Lincoln,Scunthorpe,Colchester and Ipswich were not in the football league at the time

Another unsubstantiated rumour is that one of the Directors of the LNER was also a director of Arsenal, and demanded that the loco not be named as there had been a match between the two that Newcastle had won under dubious circumstances.
however as i have said there is no evidence to back up either of these stories, and cannot find a director common to both
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Fascinating stuff, silverfox. Thanks.
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Did you like my wallpaper?

hopefully the Waste Spam plate will be ordorned in black crepe on Wed, same as the Woolwich Wanderers one the following Sat.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

:lol: Now don't be jumping any guns just yet.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Even though im a Sunderland fan id like to see a pic of Newcastle United in revenue earning service, ive seen plenty of it as the Essex Regiment but none in its former guise. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Im still waiting for Spursy time to arrive!!

Haveseen a pic of it after completion, cannot remember if there was ever one in service. will check and get back if found
Hucknall Central
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Hucknall Central »

Pyewipe Junction; better than any football team - you had "City of Lincoln" (B2). A fine and noble place.