Gresley's P2 Mikados - new book by Andrew Hardy

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Gresley's P2 Mikados - new book by Andrew Hardy

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Hatfield Shed wrote:On his poor interpersonal skills, absolutely key to the role of running the department as CME, Grafton's book contains many examples. The unjustified jealousy toward Peppercorn over the 'Bayonet' coach for Eisenhower a good specimen.
I never said ET was a perfect, or even a good man, but that example is not one which answers the question: was Thompson a good designer? Did Edward Thompson err and was he a jealous man? That absolutely could be evidence pointing to that.

However I cannot find that example in my copy of Grafton's book. Could you point me towards a page number please?
There and elsewhere it is quite clear that despite the habitual politesse and respect for the postion of CME of those company officers who wrote of their experiences under ET, that he made life very difficult to the point of unpleasantness for many of the key staff and left behind a demoralised team on his retirement.
Yet equally there are those below Thompson such as Richard Hardy who speak of Thompson with respect and reverence. It is interesting that all those who denigrate Thompson are those who Thompson moved aside to form his own team, and very rarely in the positions on the front line running his machines (where a different story can be told).

In any event - define demoralised? Only a few have spoken up to make their views plain and that is not indicative of the esteem Thompson is held in across the whole of the LNER at the time when he retired, nor should it be, any more than the ES Cox report should condemn Gresley out of hand for its findings.
On the technical side, try 'Bill Harvey's 60 years in steam' author DW Harvey, pub David and Charles. That's regarding the L1, a fully Thompson design. The assemblage designs of existing proven parts largely worked well enough: proven components enabled this. That they consistently failed to improve on what had gone before where direct comparision can be made is undoubted.
But perhaps that is missing the point - the L1 was supposed to fill a gap and be easier to manufacture and maintain. These two things are true and factual as much as it is also true they were found lacking in some areas, most notably the fabricated axle boxes. Given the immediate post war situation of the LNER, the prototype L1 is spoken of fondly but the production machines less so as they were not as well built. Is that the fault of the designer or the people manufacturing them?
The people operating the equipment were not amateurs, and the earlier scrapping of Thompson pacifics than the designs they were supposed to supersede is all the argument required.
I am afraid that statement is not factual.

Many Peppercorn and Gresley Pacifics were scrapped before the vast majority of the Thompson A2/3s, of which there were only fifteen in the first place.

Dieselisation was coming in the late 50s and British Railways - all regions - were scrapping locomotives ranging from anywhere between sixty, thirty, ten, and even four years old, regardless of their perceived qualities or defects.

The first classes of steam locomotives on every region to go were the smallest classes - therefore it is of no surprise that a class of 6 Pacifics should disappear before a class of 79, 49 and 34.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the design and everything to do with the way that steam ended on British Railways generally.

That sentence is often repeated and it is always slanted against Thompson without any consideration for the context of the time, in which steam, as a whole, was being wiped out.
ahardy
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by ahardy »

Afternoon all!

Well it seems that yet again P2's and all things related have divided opinion!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Andy Hardy and i'm the author of the above mentioned article. I started this four years ago as a personal project as I found the history of the P2's fascinating and that the various published works on them held various inconsistencies.

I have been involved with the A1 as support crew for a number of years and got involved with the P2 project very early on before it was public. At the time I was working for the NRM, at first in conservation and latterly in archives. I was lucky to have easy access to the NRM collections that most don't, especially un-catalogued stuff. This led to find some items related to the P2's that I had not seen published before. I also look after the P2 Steam Locomotive Company archive. I have since left the NRM and now work for a heritage line driving steam engines and helping to manage volunteers but have continued my research at archives around the UK.

Adding all of this together has given me what I hope is a good publication covering the life of the P2's, their design, construction operation, problems, faults and successes. This is coupled with drawings, photographs (including lots of unpublished ones), copies of letters, unique artwork and digitally coloured copies of some of the more well known images. The book also briefly covers the P1's and also the Thompson rebuilds, again looking at things in terms of both their successes and faults in what I hope is a fair manner.

It then seemed to me a good opportunity to combine my personal wish for a new P2 book with a way to support the new build project. Ian Allan kindly offered to publish the book on advantageous terms to the Trust (this is even greater if you buy a copy of the book through the A1/P2 project, feel free to per-order through me!) and have helped make the book everything I hoped. Other than helping with some information regards the new P2 the Trust have had very little involvement in the manuscript although some have since read the manuscript. Lots of individuals from other societies have helped provide and verify information in the book, provide skills (such as digital image cleaning) and create custom artwork to help support the book and the project.

I wont ever say the book is perfect, new information always comes to light, new images come forward and new evidence is found. Saying something is perfect and flawless only leads to a large fall. I hope the book will educate and give enjoyment to anyone that reads it and also to promote more discussion about P2's and maybe prompt more information and material to come forward that benefits the Trust, enthusiasts, researchers and historians.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I'm excited to see the finished product!

Cheers

Andy H
harvester
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by harvester »

Well I'll certainly buy one. The book appears to widen the knowledge we already have of dare I say it these fine looking machines . As previously pointed out gentlemen don't cut your nose off to spite your face.
Thanks to Simon for a reminder about the publication available in May. Was that early ? Well when we've read it we may share his enthusiasm and any thing that goes towards us seeing a P2 in steam surely must be a good thing.
When seeing pictures of them over 60 years ago it was something I never dreamed I'd have the chance of seeing.
37b
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 37b »

I think Arthur Peppercorn was a better engineer than ET.
The real strength of the A1 and A2 classes lay in their reliability. By carefully incorporating the best of Gresley and Thompson design, as well as ideas of his own, Peppercorn had produced two masterpieces of durability and low service cost. Some five of the A1's had roller bearings fitted throughout, and these five regularly clocked up mileages of over 150,000 between intermediate overhauls. Even the plain bearing A1's were capable of 90,000 miles between overhaul, and no other express passenger locomotive class in the UK could better 80,000. The first of his A2 engines had single chimneys, and when fitted with a self cleaning smoke-boxes experienced steaming problems which took some time to resolve. Changing to Double Blast-pipe resolved much of the issues, though some of the A2's retained single chimney without self cleaning apparatus. The A1's, being built afterwards, and incorporating the lessons learned, featured the Double Blast-pipe and Chimney from new.
I shall be buying the P2 book!
Cheers from 37b
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Mick b

Sent you a pm
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mick b wrote:
Re Mr Allatt what has he or not done wrong ? Normal responses please or not all all. Thanks. :D
I'd be just as interested to know that too. I'm sure he's not everybody's favourite (nobody ever can be) but I suspect he may have just the right qualities to drive the necessary fund raising schemes.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
mick b wrote:
Re Mr Allatt what has he or not done wrong ? Normal responses please or not all all. Thanks. :D
I'd be just as interested to know that too. I'm sure he's not everybody's favourite but I suspect he may have just the right qualities to drive the necessary fund raising schemes.
You ask for 'normal responses please' mick b.

I would not like to subject anybody on this site to Mr Allatt's behaviour at the Gresley Society AGM. I am no longer on the LNER Society Committee as a result of his behaviour and have no confidence in him as a Chairman of the LNER Society, and given further actions he made without the Committees knowledge at the time, I am happy no longer to be involved. I am not a Gresley Society member, so this is NOT duck related (I have no interest in that), it IS just about personal standards of behaviour in a meeting.

John
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks, I have been enlightened by PM as well as to his "antics"
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Still no wiser here. I imagine the grapevine will eventually supply me with some information, of unknown reliability.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

@Andy H and @ SAC Martin
Thanks for the info on the book, gents. I live only a few miles from where 2007 is being assembled, and I too am fascinated by the class, my interest having been started with her being the follow on to 60163. Add me to the numbers of those who will be buying a copy 8)

Mark
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

OK Gents

allatt
Much as i object to giving this apology for a human the oxygen of publicity Here is what happened

At the last Gresley Society AGM a member stood up to ask a question regarding the way the Council kowtowed to one of Gresleys grandsons demands to remove the Mallard ( i understand that this gentleman is now unwell)
allatt was sitting behind me and everytime one of the council made a point why they did (and 99% of these points made in print are absolute lies with no back up whatsover)
This odious character hear-heared every remark.like a korean lacky at one of KIm Jong Un speeches, and as the member tried to continue with his question, allat said 'sit down ,you arsehole'

i quote his opening line on his website

'Mark Allatt is a commercially-focused director highly experienced in all aspects of communications,....'

Yep, telling people they are arseholes must take a lot of experience in communications

They say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression, well that was my first impression of him

I will steer well clear of anything that man puts his name to.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Time this conversation was ended, its was started with the intention of promoting awareness of an up coming new publication, by a respected member of this forum, he stands to gain nothing from him bringing it to our attenion

The issue of the Gresley Society AGM and who was there, who said what and to whom is a different issue, widely reported in the press. The matter regarding 'the duck' is a personal view point no matter which side of the you stand, niether have an influence on weather on the work of the author and its results are worthy of purchasing

Now I will put my hand up and admit my conections with this, I am a member of the merchandising team for the A1SLT/P2SLC and know Mark though that roll, I openly sign my name in every post, so no hidding behind a screen name

I will be adding this publication to my library
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

My personal opinion is that the whole duck saga debate needs to end, because neither side is budging an inch and no one has been able to offer a compromise that all would be happy with in any event. Besides which, the statue is virtually made by now.

I don't condone anyone being rude in public but my personal view of Mr Allatt is that he has always been very respectful and certainly kind, towards me.

I do find it incredulous that a simple post advertising that a new publication has been written, and is in the interests of the members of this forum, should be met with such a highly aggressive and politicised response.

It certainly does not endear me to any of Mr Allatt's detractors that they would air their dirty laundry in public as they have done; and certainly not on topic which is totally unrelated to him aside from the interesting developments Andrew has put into his publication concerning the building of no.2007.

Can we draw a line under that please gentlemen, and focus on the fact that one of our youngest and brightest has done something rather special - and that's to present new information, new photographs and frankly the most sensible and balanced account of these at times controversial locomotives that has ever been written.

In short, give the book - and Andrew Hardy - a chance.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Quite right to concentrate on the book now, although once the remark about Mr Allatt had been made I think it was inevitable that questions would be asked. As I wasn't a witness to the stated events, nor am I fully briefed on the apparently rather rich background to them, I'm not currently inclined to form an opinion one way or the other.

silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Brian
PEDANT ALERT!!!

This is written in a light hearted manner.
Before you put everything in you library, you do need to rectify a couple of spelling errors

not weather but whether

not roll but role :-)

And i agree the Thompson/Gresley spat should be put to bed. Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one.Any biography now is based on previous books on the subject and sway one way or the other according to that persons views on the subject. However once they have added their take, the truth gets further diluted, plus there are recent authors who purport to be an 'expert' on things LNER and get the basic information incorrect, by didnt of just copying what was written before.
One of the reasons i dont watch the historical series shown on TV , where these experts try and second guess what Henry VIII might have said and interpret it as they would like to see it.

Andy Best of luck with your book

As a slight deviation, can you name the person who has designed and built the most steam locomotives

Ron