Gresley Suburban stock

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

shildonboy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Gresley Suburban stock

Post by shildonboy »

I am building a rake of Gresley teak bodied Suburban Coaches and I wondered if anyone could advise of the colours of the panels, floors and seats during the 50s. The outside of the coaches will be maroon.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Gresley Suburban stock

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The colour palette by my very youthful memory would be 'dingy'. Brown predominated, the exceptions being the ceiling a dark cream, and dark coloured moquette seat cushions, black with the bit of bright red is what I recall abrading my short trousered legs. Oh, and interior 'lighting' by a 0.5W bulb which dimmed appreciably at stops.

(Nothing to do with the LNER. These really were on their last legs it has to be said, soon to be replaced by BR mk1 non-gangwayed compartment stock, which quickly became something much worse as the door bottoms rusted out after a few years. I still remember my feet 'blast chilled' commuting to and from the Smoke in the winter months. Although I had ceased from the silly habit of taking jobs in town by the time the GN electrification occurred, I still had to travel in regularly to visit London offices and was I ever grateful for the improvement, even if the sllding doors did occasionally operate while we were winging along.)
shildonboy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by shildonboy »

thank you for the guidance. The kit instructions provided guidance that the seats where red with a touch of black, I will know add more black speckles with my stippling brush to achieve the Dickensian effect you describe. :)

I only remember the DMUs on local trips although I have memories of travelling behind trains with a steam loco on longer trips and I recall being admonished not to "brush" up against anything because of the soot and despite my childish attempts to stay clean I always failed miserably. the only plus ws my brother always became grimier than I did. All train and bus seats made my little legs sore: short pants and fabric that was an acceptable substitute for 180 grade aluminium oxide paper.

Pleasant memories.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

You can get superb interiors from Laurence Hogg Productions. They have a ready supply, laser printed. see here http://www.laurencehoggproductions.co.uk/

For an example of his work see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-GRESLE ... 230d80f5ca

Put your curser on the picture and move it around.

Laurence will speak to you if you have any problems, click on the 'contact' button for his details.
Last edited by Kestrel on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Kestrel wrote:You can get superb interiors from Laurence Hogg Productions. They have a ready supply, laser printed. see here http://www.laurencehoggproductions.co.uk/

For en example of his work see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-GRESLE ... 230d80f5ca

Put your curser on the picture and move it around.

Laurence will speak to you if you have any problems, click on the 'contact' button for his details.
I cannot see any non-vestibule interiors though - and the period is not clearly stated either. If for the teak varnished stock the interiors will be incorrect anyway.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Go on Mousa Models site, free download on there for Coach interiors inc Red version.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

mick b wrote:Go on Mousa Models site, free download on there for Coach interiors inc Red version.
To add to that, I'd suggest using a thin wash of matt grey paint to weather down the colours. I find them a bit strong for me.

V
shildonboy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by shildonboy »

I went with red seats stippled with black and the inside walls of each compartment in a brown that represents what I think is dirty and age darkened teak. After some thought I realised two things: first that you have to look through small grubby windows to see what is in the compartment; second, there is nobody that is going to look inside these compartments that could possibly disagree with the colours I have painted them.

Also the plastic passengers do not have cell phones and cannot post a picture of the compartment on facebook or similar :D