LNER load tables and route availability

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ColHut
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

LNER load tables and route availability

Post by ColHut »

G'day all,

Long time visitor finally registered.

I am looking for information on the LNER way of calculating loads for freight trains and route availability, but particularly the former, including:
What were the loco haulage capacities/classes?
How were train loads calculated for the various classes of fitted and unfitted workings?
Was it route (and gradient) specific, or were there general rules with exception in the WTT etc for specific routes?

I understand the GWR method, and the BR modified LMS system, and have seen the GER load tables pre-grouping, and similar ones are referenced in the WTT for M&GN JR in 1933, which refers to the 1913 Appendix to the WTT and supplements B to F.
Capture.JPG

The 1913 document (pp 110-112) is pre-grouping, refers to "A", "A tank" and "C" and "D" classes (GNR?). The old GER system used an A to H class. I do not have the supplements.

So was the LNER load system located in a separate work like the 1969 BR white pages, or was it route specific and in Appendicies to the WTT or some such?

If some one could point me in the right direction, or explain it to me I would be very grateful.

regards

Colin
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER load tables and route availability

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Yes, me too. As I understand it, the 'LNER Southern Area Loading Classification' would be the item we are talking about; there does not appear to have been an LNER all system or Northern Area equivalent (and I would guess that pre-group schemes continued in the Northern areas with additions as later LNER design locos came into service.)

What I have cobbled together from various sources over the years, no claim for absolute correctness:
Load class
2 J1 - J4 inc. N1
3 J5, J6, J11, J15, N2, N5
4 J16, J17, J50
5 B8, J18, J19, J39, K2
6 J20, K3
7 O4
8 O1, O2

The train load limits were then route specific by both load class of loco and class of train; and when comparing routes the variation between what Class X was rated for on any particular class of train depended principally upon gradients on the route.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Load Classes adequately explained in RCTS 'locomotives of the LNER' Part 1 on pp87-93, including later BR classifications, no cobbling together necessary :wink:

However these are generic and reference is still required to the 'LNER' Load Tables, first published 1928 and updated as required and to a multitude of other sources including the Sectional Appendices for line-specific information, as you have already intimated.
ColHut

Post by ColHut »

Excellent. Thankyou both.

I am awaiting the former to arrive by post (hopefully any day now).

Do you happen to know the 'proper' name for the the "'LNER' Load Tables, first published 1928"?

regards
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

So I have to persuade my dear other half of the necessity of yet further railway books?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Not necessarily, but at least you know where to find the information! It's surprising how much general information Part 1 contains, to the extent that it is one of the first references I consult on questions relating to LNER motive power.
ColHut

Post by ColHut »

My copy of RCTS Vol 1 arrived today. I am amazed how I survived without it for so long.

I now understand the systems involved and it does need quite a few pages to explain the variations. I will track down the detail of the several systems now. At least the route availability and class is outlined in there too.

Thanks for your assistance

Regards
ColHut

Post by ColHut »

To add to the above, I received my ageing copy of the LNER 1928 Scottish (Southern) region freight load book on Monday. I understand it is in similar format to the old North British load books but uses the LNER 1924 load system from the Southern region. The North Eastern region continued in its own sweet way to 1950. Anyway the book is a treasure including load tables for borrowed and transferred locos from the NE region and elsewhere, as well as passenger train loads and equivalences for the "wagon load" system. Interesting to note the wagon load system came in for criticism from contemporary authors* as well as HMRI due to the the difficulty in computing the equivalences and the danger of overloading.

Regards

*see The Principal Factors In Freight Train Operating by Burtt,Philip.1924 ex NER.available online at archive.org