Wartime Black A1/3 side hand rails

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Wartime Black A1/3 side hand rails

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thought I had sent this yesterday but apparently not (old age/galloping senility ????).
Finally, getting around to repainting a Hornby model A3 into Wartime Black livery as 'Flamingo'/95, my guide being a very good photo in Irwell Press's 'The Book of the A3 Pacifics' on p48. Being a Black/White photo it does seem that the side hand rails are also painted Black and as (I understand) Wartime Black was an economy measure it is unlikely these were kept pristine and shining - which could of course have attracted the dreaded Luftwaffe on one of their forays anyway! The notes in Chapter 6 with the photo covering 'appearances' doesn't mention this particular detail and nor does RCTS 2A in the section headed 'Boiler Handrails' (p57).
My inclination is to paint them black (and a heck of a lot easier) but clarification would be most welcome.
Graeme Leary
New Zealand
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Wartime Black A1/3 side hand rails

Post by mick b »

Never seen any Black loco with Silver handrails . No doubt there will be some now I have typed that !!. I cant see any reason why a wartime Loco would have had silver handrails. Mine have Black !!
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks mickb - confirms what was probably 'bleedin' obvious' and will be how I finish mine.
Graeme
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Heljan think otherwise with the O2 :lol: :lol:
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Supplementary question (as they used to say in University Challenge and/or Mastermind).
I cannot find a colour photo showing the buffer beams but presume they remained 'red' even during the period the A1/3 locos were painted in Wartime Black.
Thanks again for any comments.
Graeme
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Always Red , you still need to check photos re Black or Red Buffer Stocks.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks again mickb - red paint out it 5 minutes!
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

I hesitate as the answer again is probably 'bleedin' obvious' but RCTS 2A (under liveries) doesn't mention if the red buffer beams (when in Wartime Black) still carried the loco's number, in the usual smaller script.
Probably up your alley again mick b and grateful if you (someone) could confirm this was the case.
Thanks
Graeme
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Yes !!