Flying Scotsman Express Consist Circa 1928

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Flying Scotsman Express Consist Circa 1928

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

Yet another reason for me to spot a Grantham trip towards the sunny south.

Now to burn my fingers trying to solder while watching the cricket from north-east.

Earlswood nob
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Earlier on in this topic I mentioned I had just fixed coach roof name plates to my rendition of the FS (Express) which was just made up of the standard model teak coaches turned out by Hornby. At that time I was unaware of the 'Restaurant Triplet set' (even though it had been mentioned during various postings) but since obtaining Jenkinson & Camping's 'Historic Carriage Drawings in 4mm Scale' and Banks and Carter's 'LNER Passenger Trains and Formations' I now see the Triplet set is a 'must include' and to this end I have been butchering some Hornby Buffet Car coaches to (fairly accurately) model the set to add to my FS Express.
However, I have not been able to find any photos to see if all 3 coaches (Restaurant 1st/Kitchen/Restaurant 3rd) of the set also carried FS roof name boards or maybe just one of them (if any at all!)
Clarification greatly appreciated.
Graeme
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Graeme,

All the photos of the Flying Scotsman I have seen during this period show a single roof board, placed in the central position, on each carriage of the triplet set.

John