What number series' were the different diagrams of brake vans allocated?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

What number series' were the different diagrams of brake vans allocated?

Post by Nova »

I'm in the process of planning an LNER based model railway and I need information on the numbering sequence of brake vans throughout the different diagrams

from what I can gather looking at pictures, a large number of the Toad-Es were numbered in the 178XXX series, but there also seems to be photos of Toad-Es with numbers outside that range, so I'm a little confused as to how the LNER went about numbering their frieght rolling stock.

additionally, if any of you could point me towards a book that contains information of the numbers allocated to different LNER wagon diagrams it would be very much appreciated
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: What number series' were the different diagrams of brake vans allocated?

Post by richard »

Tatlow's "LNER Wagons" is going to be the reference of choice.
He did a one volume work that is cheaply available, but really you should go for the five volume work even though it costs a lot more. My set is packed away (between houses) but it will be either vol. 4A or 4B you want - they cover LNER diagrams. (v1-3 cover constituent companies).

You will also find the photos and drawings useful, as well as the summary listings of numbers.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

LNER Wagons Volume 4B covers the LNER standard brake vans - ISBN 978 0 953877 11 9. The running numbers for the Toad E are all listed on p317.

I'd copy the number ranges into this post but, if you are planning a model and clearly are seeking accuracy in your representation, you will find the book well worthwhile. It can be reserved through your local library if you want to review it before purchase. If you do buy it, then note that there are 4 preceding volumes, of which 1 covers the GC, GN, GE and ex-Metropolitan stock, 2 covers the NE, Hull & Barnsley and M&GN, 3 the Scottish lines, 4A the standard LNER opens, minerals, hoppers and standard and special vans and 4B the remainder of the standard LNER types.
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

65447 wrote:LNER Wagons Volume 4B covers the LNER standard brake vans - ISBN 978 0 953877 11 9. The running numbers for the Toad E are all listed on p317.

I'd copy the number ranges into this post but, if you are planning a model and clearly are seeking accuracy in your representation, you will find the book well worthwhile. It can be reserved through your local library if you want to review it before purchase. If you do buy it, then note that there are 4 preceding volumes, of which 1 covers the GC, GN, GE and ex-Metropolitan stock, 2 covers the NE, Hull & Barnsley and M&GN, 3 the Scottish lines, 4A the standard LNER opens, minerals, hoppers and standard and special vans and 4B the remainder of the standard LNER types.
richard wrote:Tatlow's "LNER Wagons" is going to be the reference of choice.
He did a one volume work that is cheaply available, but really you should go for the five volume work even though it costs a lot more. My set is packed away (between houses) but it will be either vol. 4A or 4B you want - they cover LNER diagrams. (v1-3 cover constituent companies).

You will also find the photos and drawings useful, as well as the summary listings of numbers.
Thanks, I'll be sure to look into them
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Nova wrote:Thanks, I'll be sure to look into them
I'll anticipate your next post: so many possibilities for model making, so little time.