LNER Apple Green Livery Question (In Particular the Outside Cylinders)

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2745CaptainCuttle
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

LNER Apple Green Livery Question (In Particular the Outside Cylinders)

Post by 2745CaptainCuttle »

I wanted to ask a question about what the proper color for the outside cylinders on apple green LNER locos should be. The article on liveries on this site says that the outside cylinders should be green, but most of the time I see them painted black with red lining. Can someone please explain the difference to me? My recent hobby has been repainting locomotive models in Microsoft Train Simulator and I want to get everything as accurate as possible.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Apple Green Livery Question (In Particular the Outside Cylinders)

Post by mick b »

Darlington painted the cylinders Black with Green panels. Other works with Red lining.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

mick b wrote:Darlington painted the cylinders Black with Green panels. Other works with Red lining.
Which was a hangover from North Eastern days. When North Road turned out an engine in green with outside cylinders they were given the green panel. Not only did the North Eastern "style" livery survive, so did the classes painted on the bufferbeams, P3, M1 whatever. As the North Eastern Raven Pacifics were classed 4-6-2, so for a time were the first Gresley A1s, shopped there too....Class 4-6-2 complete with the green cylinder panels. As a nod to the old days, just before North Road closed when Alan Peglar had Flying Scotsman given an overhaul there in '65 the Paint Shop turned her out with the green panels.
Last edited by 2392 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2745CaptainCuttle
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Thanks! I wondered why 4472 had green cylinders in the late 60s and early 70s. On the subject of Darlington, since 60163 Tornado was built in Darlington, shouldn't it have a green panel on the outside cylinders when painted apple green or would that be inaccurate?
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Suppose Tornado could if the A1 Guys were to consider it at some point. Though by the time the Peppercorn Pacifics' turned up North Road had been towing the company line for some years. Blue Peter did for a time........[OK I know She's an A2 though].
2745CaptainCuttle
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

I've seen pictures of Blue Peter in Apple Green as LNER 532 with green cylinders and I thought it looked nice. Brunswick Green gets a little stale after awhile, although I do think Flying Scotsman wears it well. Sorry if that's a little off topic. It would be cool to see Tornado done up as LNER No. 163 but I highly doubt that'll happen.