planking in the cab

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

planking in the cab

Post by john coffin »

One of the problems for us all is getting the little details right, and one that has troubled me for some while is the flooring in cabs.

Does anyone have proof, ie photographic evidence of the direction of the flooring planks in GNR cabs, not least Ivatt ones?
Few drawings actually show it, and my large postcard collection does not make it clear either, so anyone got any real data?

Paul
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: planking in the cab

Post by Woodcock29 »

Paul

Although I can't help immediately with an Ivatt cab, in the cab of Stirling No 1 the boards are length ways, ie parallel with the length of the loco. I have a photo I took which shows this.

Andrew Emmett
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Thanks for that Andrew, I have actually both seen and photo'd that cab, up close and personal, but what none of us know is when it was last
completely re planked. Was it done by Shildon recently, then I would be pretty sure that it would be correct, but sadly we do not know that.

Detailing locos and tenders is fraught with problems since very few photos show the tops and specifically in terms of tenders, very few rear views,
so it is always useful to ask and check what others know and have evidence of.

Paul
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

As with Andrew above, I cannot comment on Ivatt cabs.

But I have an image of an A1 Pacific cab with the planking in the same direction as described by 'Woodcock29'.

John
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

And if the NRM/Bachmann Ivatt Atlantic accurately reflects the present condition of the C1, and that has the cab floor planked as built; then that is lengthways too.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

I don't know the answer but lengthways does strike me as the easiest way to cut and fit planks, especially if there is pipework or other awkward shapes to fit around. Plus it would be easier to sweep and/or wash dirt out along the joints rather than across them.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

I think teaky you are right, for two reasons, firstly as you say, sweeping the floor and secondly to replace the badly worn planks individually at a shed
rather than needing to go back to the plant for such a thing. The wear where the fireman places his foot during shovelling both ways, ie from the tender and then into the firebox must have been quite pronounced quite quickly, where as where the driver stood, it would be less dramatic.

So shall crib off the Atlantic for plank widths!!

Thanks
Paul