NER Petrol Inspection Saloons

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

NER Petrol Inspection Saloons

Post by markindurham »

There's a discussion elsewhere today about these vehicles

http://www.lner.info/locos/IC/inspection.php

Does anyone know of any drawings for them please? They're crying out to be modelled :)

Otherwise, it's blow up some pics and get busy scaling and making my own drawings - and I'd much rather be constructing!

Cheers
Mark
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Re: NER Petrol Inspection Saloons

Post by Wavey »

I have a feeling that they are in the NER carriage diagram books that are available from the North Eastern Railway Association.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Wavey wrote:I have a feeling that they are in the NER carriage diagram books that are available from the North Eastern Railway Association.
I'm sure they are. I'll try to look them up tomorrow.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Thanks, gents. Will be looking for a project for my next tour of seagoing duty :)

Mark
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

That's a nice looking little unit, possible to used the brake ends off of a couple of old Hornby coaches, cut and shut, I've been looking on E-Bay and found this.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Bogie-O ... 2376655738 you might be able to use it.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

manna wrote:G'day Gents

That's a nice looking little unit, possible to used the brake ends off of a couple of old Hornby coaches, cut and shut, I've been looking on E-Bay and found this.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Bogie-O ... 2376655738 you might be able to use it.

manna
Hi manna

That's a useful wee unit for someone - thanks for posting it.

Wrong thread really for model stuff, but I plan construction from styrene, with power via a small gearbox I already have onto a 2mm axle, driven by a DS10 or a Mitsumi motor. That end will be fixed, with the other axle able to 'rock'.

Getting back to the unit itself, these must have been seen all over the network in the course of their inspection duties. Something different, for sure, and I would imagine that they were kept clean :)

Mark
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day gents

Might try one of them myself....one day :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

If anyone's in the LNER Society Facebook group, Mick Nicholson has just posted pictures of a couple of these.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

drmditch wrote:
Wavey wrote:I have a feeling that they are in the NER carriage diagram books that are available from the North Eastern Railway Association.
I'm sure they are. I'll try to look them up tomorrow.
Sorry it took so long.
'NER Diagrams of Passenger Train Vehicles' Volume 4
Diagram 190 Petrol Motor Inspection Car No.3711 Built March 1908

There is also a nice picture of this vehicle in 'North Eastern Record' Volume 2 on page 31. A view of the interior is on the following page.

I'm sure I've seen another diagram somewhere for this or another vehicle with a roof-mounted radiator, but haven't so-far been able to find it.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

These three vehicles are described in RCTS Part 10A, page 37, and Figures 56 to 59 (pages 7 to 73). This includes No.3768y, built under the LNER after the NER original was destroyed by fire. I actually think this later vehicle is the nicest of the lot, and possibly the easiest to model. with a 16' wheelbase and larger wheels.

One might be tempted to add this one to the 'really ought to build one sometime' list!
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Thank you, gents. Much appreciated.