LNER loco number and lettering style question

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GeoFF B
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER loco number and lettering style question

Post by GeoFF B »

I have just joined this forum so bear with me if this is not the proper place for this question. I have recently acquired several model locos in LNER livery and the style of letters tends to differ. Some are plain yellow or gold, while others have a more elaborate shaded style. Is this related to a particular time period i.e. pre or post war, or is it to do with where the loco was built?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER loco number and lettering style question

Post by jwealleans »

Time. Shaded lettering was used up to and just after the war, gold on green engines and yellow on black. Post war there was a change to unshaded Gill Sans lettering (yellow on green - all locos were to be painted green), but precisely when this took place depended on when the different works ran out of the old transfers.
colinh58
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: LNER loco number and lettering style question

Post by colinh58 »

I notice that the recent Bachmann model of D11/2 Luckie Mucklebackit in LNE lined black livery has been produced with gold rather than yellow letters, which surely is a mistake as all photos I have seen suggest it should be yellow.